Options

CWTS needed before CWNA?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have essentially zero experience with wireless. Would it be a bad idea to try for the CWNA without going after the CWTS first? Has anyone done it?

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think that is the common approach. The CWTS does not have the popularity that the CWNA has.
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I skipped the CWTS and went ahead with the CWNA. With no experience you may want to study the TS first though.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found CWTS good for learning the basics. It would certainly build your confidence when moving up to CWNA.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went straight for the CWNA as well. Wasn't overwhelming.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    I did the CWTS as it was really easy, cheap, and doesnt expire. It gave the basics for study on the cheap, and gave me some paper to add to the resume.

The CWNA is considerably harder, however it is definitely attainable
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I did the CWNA many years ago and then the CWTS to review it when it came out. I can see how many people who take the CWTS think it is too easy for what they wanted and wished they had gone straight to the CWNA.
  • Options
    grbond0007grbond0007 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I received my CWTS 2 weeks ago. I have a bachelor's in I.T. & became curious about wireless technology. I would recommend the CWTS first since you get used to the format of CWNP exams and the terminology.