Options

Business analytics and MIS

celticsfan89celticsfan89 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Are these same degrees? I'm a little confused between the two. They seem to send you to the same jobs though. Even anyone has any clarification between these 2 degrees

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    You're really going to need to do some digging on your own to get a clear picture. Degree content varies widely from college to college and often times differing degrees do have a lot of overlap.

Take a look at the courses in each degree at the college you're looking at and you should easily be able to spot the differences.
  • Options
    ratchokeratchoke Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been accepted into MIS @ Washington State University.

And according to the description that is one of the main draws for the degree. Haven't begun the program though, taking pre-req courses @ a CC to save about 15-20k.... lol

It sucks when you get an A.S. in networking, and barely any of those courses transfer into a bus degree.....

Many of the popular jobs that accept/look for MIS degrees, according to this catalog and what I could find in bls.gov

-business analyst
    -systems analyst
    -project management
    -consultants
    -system and network admins
  • Options
    ratchoke wrote: »
    I've been accepted into MIS @ Washington State University.

And according to the description that is one of the main draws for the degree. Haven't begun the program though, taking pre-req courses @ a CC to save about 15-20k.... lol

It sucks when you get an A.S. in networking, and barely any of those courses transfer into a bus degree.....

Many of the popular jobs that accept/look for MIS degrees, according to this catalog and what I could find in bls.gov

-business analyst
    -systems analyst
    -project management
    -consultants
    -system and network admins

WSUs MIS degree doesn't really get very specific in any one area to qualify you for much of anything but definitely provides good base level knowledge. Just make sure you take some of your own time to become skilled in something more specific.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    WSUs MIS degree doesn't really get very specific in any one area to qualify you for much of anything but definitely provides good base level knowledge. Just make sure you take some of your own time to become skilled in something more specific.

That's my plan, studying for CCNA/CCNA Sec

I've taken Cisco classes at a CC back in California a couple years back, but put off taking the test because of moving to WA and new job. Plus I like the 'business' aspect of it because my job will pay 5700 annually towards the degree.

To my understanding from what I've researched WSU's MIS degree is one of the best in the West apparently, so that hopefully accounts for something. I also hope to use the alumni system to build my network (new to Washington).

My other option was Dakota State University for B.S. Network and Administration or CS (Online). But I kind of wanted to make myself more well rounded, I don't doubt I'd probably get more specialization out of those other two, but I want the MIS for business needs, because I love doing projects, project management is my goal.

But it looks like you're from WA, do you have any feedback on the degree? Based on exp or from what you've learned from friends/family/co-workers? Again, I'm new to WA. Do you know anyone who has the degree, and just completely hates it or thought the course work sucked etc?
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know at Drexel the Business Analytics degree focuses on databases and the analysis of said information. You'll take some Stats course, decision support related courses work, and some programming courses. You won't touch networking or anything of that sort. As for an MIS degree, usually a mix of business and technical course. In theory you could do business analytics with it if you tailored your course work to it (or specialized in it). My suggestion would be to do the MIS degree and tailor your coursework towards business analytics. That way you don't come out with a specialized degree and get stuck in a job you dislike.

Case in point, I have a friend who has a degree in Music Industry. It is literally a business degree with electives in various music related course work. Business Administration students can get a minor in Music Industry instead of the degree. She applies for business related jobs and doesn't get in the door due to the degree. Even though she has taken all the business courses that a Business Administration student has taken.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    That's my plan, studying for CCNA/CCNA Sec

I've taken Cisco classes at a CC back in California a couple years back, but put off taking the test because of moving to WA and new job. Plus I like the 'business' aspect of it because my job will pay 5700 annually towards the degree.

To my understanding from what I've researched WSU's MIS degree is one of the best in the West apparently, so that hopefully accounts for something. I also hope to use the alumni system to build my network (new to Washington).

My other option was Dakota State University for B.S. Network and Administration or CS (Online). But I kind of wanted to make myself more well rounded, I don't doubt I'd probably get more specialization out of those other two, but I want the MIS for business needs, because I love doing projects, project management is my goal.

But it looks like you're from WA, do you have any feedback on the degree? Based on exp or from what you've learned from friends/family/co-workers? Again, I'm new to WA. Do you know anyone who has the degree, and just completely hates it or thought the course work sucked etc?

Well, I have one myself and know quite a few classmates that have since graduated with theirs. Personally I didn't get much out of the degree and found most of the content to be quite basic knowledge, although many of my classmates would disagree. I found it to be too easy and felt it really didn't go into enough detail on anything.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Well, I have one myself and know quite a few classmates that have since graduated with theirs. Personally I didn't get much out of the degree and found most of the content to be quite basic knowledge, although many of my classmates would disagree. I found it to be too easy and felt it really didn't go into enough detail on anything.

You graduated from WSU?.. Or you're speaking in terms of most MIS degrees? I wanted more so the business part of it with the SQL classes and statistic classes. Also I think the accounting and management classes are just in general a good basis to have for any job if you want to be in management (which I do).

If you did graduate from WSU, got any pointers? Also do you know much about the Mu Lota Sigma?

I have prior knowledge with java and C++, it's just a matter of relearning them which I'm hoping wont be too hard, but I was never really that great, nor did I have that much fun doing only programming. What I found most rewarding and interesting was network/system administration (or at least what I took from a 1.5yr program @ my previous college). I also hope/believe the business portion of the degree will help me more in project management; I want to help build/maintain networks. I have a lot of fun working in groups and with my hands.
  • Options
    You graduated from WSU?.. Or you're speaking in terms of most MIS degrees? I wanted more so the business part of it with the SQL classes and statistic classes. Also I think the accounting and management classes are just in general a good basis to have for any job if you want to be in management (which I do).

If you did graduate from WSU, got any pointers? Also do you know much about the Mu Lota Sigma?

I have prior knowledge with java and C++, it's just a matter of relearning them which I'm hoping wont be too hard, but I was never really that great, nor did I have that much fun doing only programming. What I found most rewarding and interesting was network/system administration (or at least what I took from a 1.5yr program @ my previous college). I also hope/believe the business portion of the degree will help me more in project management; I want to help build/maintain networks. I have a lot of fun working in groups and with my hands.
    I did graduate from WSU with a MIS degree a couple years ago. I was never very impressed with Mu Lota Sigma personally and felt I could better network on my own(which I did). If you're going to be on campus definitely go talk to the IT department and look at part time jobs. They have a lot that never get posted and are very flexible with hours.

The business skills are definitely nice to have but like I mentioned they stay quite basic and almost all felt like common sense to me. If you're lacking in this department then they will definitely be good to pick up but otherwise may bore you.

If you want to know any more feel free to PM me and we can chat outside of this thread.