Options

Todd lammle or Wendell as the primary reference?

2»

Comments

• Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    DoubleNNs wrote: »
    I like Odom's book to learn, Lammle's to review.

edit: Or.. what I mean to say is Odom's book would be best if you're new to the material. Lammle's would be a great if you already have Cisco experience.

Do most agree with this? Reason I ask is because I am looking to dive in to educating myself for the CCENT and I have no Cisco (really no networking) experience.

For this reason I am looking for a read that assumes this for the most part, and doesn't have a tonality that I am familiar already with Cisco. That being said I have heard many say Todd is an "easier" read.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I use both as primary readings. :>
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    burfect wrote: »
    That being said I have heard many say Todd is an "easier" read.

It's an easier read because it doesn't go into every little detail like the Odom book. Some of these details not be needed just to get a passing grade on the exam, but as someone completely new it will help things click.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have both books. I go back and forth between the two. Odom's book is much more in depth than Lammle's, but Lammale's wording I find easier to understand...
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    no!all! wrote: »
    I have both books. I go back and forth between the two. Odom's book is much more in depth than Lammle's, but Lammale's wording I find easier to understand...

I notice the intro section basically states he writes with a style that the person already has a basic understanding of networks and cisco products which is why I ask.

If Odom takes the more ground up approach it may be better suited for me, as DoubleNNs stated.
  • Options
    Admiral AkmirAdmiral Akmir Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have the 7th edition of Lammle's CCNA study guide, is this up to date with the new objectives? The publication date seems to be 2011, but didn't they majorly update it in 2012? What books are current with the exams?
  • Options
    binaryhatbinaryhat Member Posts: 129
    Odom gives you more info. It preps you better. The ICND1 and 2 books by Odom are current with the exams.
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
    Book: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide
    Equipment: Packet Tracer, GNS3
    Supplement Material: Youtube, Google, Boson ExamSim-Max, CBTNuggets
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have Lammle, Odom, Graziani (cisco netacad). One thing about Odom: He does throw some stuff in there that is NOT required for the NA and lower exams. For example, secondary IP addressing. I don't know why he did that
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    Admiral AkmirAdmiral Akmir Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    binaryhat wrote: »
    Odom gives you more info. It preps you better. The ICND1 and 2 books by Odom are current with the exams.

http://www.amazon.com/CCENT-ICND1-100-101-Official-Guide/dp/1587143852

Is this the correct book?
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my 3 Cisco router classes and our instructor used the Odom book. However, after my courses I used Lammel's book to study for the CCNA certification. I guess it was an easier read for me without having an instructor for Odom's book. Also keep in mind that I studied the 640-802 in my classes. After failing my 2nd attempt and the 200-120 was the only valid CCNA: R&S composite exam, I switched over to Lammel's when buying a new book to study from.

That is the correct book for the latest ICND1, 100-101. I sent you a PM so that you know what the latest materials are.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.