Cannot connect to routers through console port

Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
I finally got my lab equipment.

But I cant even connect to the dam console ports!
It came with a rollover cable and a serial to ethernet adapter. I set hyperterm to the required settings 9600, 8, none, 1, and none.

But nothing.

Tried all three com ports, both routers and the switch.

Tried a different telnet program, tera term.

Nothing.

What can I do to test?
Did I get so unlucky as to buy all crap equipment?

Comments

• Bearded SteveBearded Steve Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tried a different console cable?
    Data, Segments, Packets, Frames, Bits
  • Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    No, I only have one.

But, I have tried my laptop, just in case there was something wrong with my computer, and it is still not working.
  • QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    You NipponBiki... what equipment did you finally get anyways?

Regarding the telnet... are you sure your cable is good? I use teraterm myself... or try using just the standards Windows just to see if it is not application. But, dont forget to force it to VT100 instead of automatic.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
    well, since i cant login, i cant verify what i got.

i only have one cable, and no way of testing the cable itself.

i guess i will just have to wait until monday to try and find someplace that sells console cables.
  • jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Try another telnet s/w like secure ssh. See what happends.
    What next?
    OK, tried a new cable and new ethernet to db9 adapter.

Is there anybody out there that could possibly help?
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/14.html

http://www.conserver.com/consoles/IOLAN/iolancons.html

Before I would get to worried bout my gear being bad, I would get a new console cable. Buy a cisco made cable off ebay, cisco doesnt make a rollover cable and a DB9 to RJ45 adapter, thats third party. I have a few bad ones my self, The problem is often the DB9 end just needs to be resoldered.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    I had a similar problem occur the day before my exam. It turned out to be the rj-45 to db9 connector. The pins in the rj-45 connector got mangled/bent out of the way and didn't make contact with the rollover cable. I would check the connector and verify the pinouts on the Cisco link from johnnynodough's post.
    OK, I went ahead and ordered a real cisco cable from yahoo auction here in Japan.

I also find it hard to believe that all three pieces of equipment would be bad

However, if it was a cabling issue, would I still get a connected status in hyperterm?

This is so **** me off. I already waited over 2 months just for shipping for this lab.
    HyperTerm and many com port terminal emulators can say they are connected when they really arent, you should be able to verify what you have though, if you hold the two ends of the rollover cable, pin 1 on one side should be pn 8 on the other, pin 2 on one side to pin 7 on the other side, etc ect, like so -

I use to have a great link for this, but I cant find it, so I tore apart one of my fucntioning homemade cables.

RJ45 Connector 1
    OR-WOR,GR-WGR,BL-WBL,BR-WBR

RJ45 Conenctor 2
    WBR-BR,WBL-BL,WGR-GR,WOR-OR

*Any color variation will work, as long as they map to the opposite pin onthe other connector

And the DB9 connector end should map like so, the DB9 adapter should have a pin out on the DB9 shell and the RJ45 receptacle.

RJ45 DB9

Note Below that asterix * do not represent pins, I had to use them to keep the format of my awesome artwork :P

DB9
    ______ ___
    \1***** 5 /
    \9*****6/

RJ45
    * _____
    _|____|_
    |******|
    |______|
    1***** 8
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
    What is that... a Picasso or Monet?
    Modern Monet, isnt is obviuos icon_cool.gif
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

LOL icon_lol.gif
  • alexgnealexgne Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for off-topic question:

I bought myself 3 2503 routers. No cables were included. Could someone recommend a serial cable and model for these routers. For frame relay and ppp connection with dte and dce.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On ebay you will be able to buy a back to back db60 serial cable.The cable is working at the physical layer,once your physical layer is good you can worry about what datalink protocols you want to use!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • alexgnealexgne Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks!

Could you please tell where those cisco smart serial and x.21 cables are use?