Options

can i give security+ directly?

tejas_ptejas_p Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi guys,

new to the forum. i m an IT engineer fresher - no job experience yet. been doing ccna fundamental course and wanna enter the security field. read ken wagner's post on a career in info sec. where he had stated to start with comptia security + and then once in the job go for ssp certs. but security plus needs 2 years technical experience and security exp as well which i dont have. is it advisable to take security plus cert directly without any network plus cert or go for studying ccna security course. i dont plan to do the cert now for ccna...for me knwoledge trumps above certification but should i go for a security plus cert...willl it help me if i enter the job market with it? i m planning for my masters as well in info sec or it security field next year. what would you guys advise me as a good path to follow.

Comments

• Options
    aaronwaaronw Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Security+ has no required experience. What you've mentioned is recommended experience. I took it before Network+, so it really varies per person. It depends on if you have networking fundamentals. I would say yes, it would help you enter the job market.
  • Options
    teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tejas_p wrote: »
    ...for me knowledge trumps...
    If knowledge trumps and you don't have a solid understanding of networking, I highly recommend getting the Network+ certification. I studied for and passed the N+ exam and gained a significant amount of knowledge from the material learned. Previously, while studying for a Red Hat certification, I kept hitting road blocks due to holes in my networking knowledge. I switched to Network+ to fill these gaps. I am currently studying for Security+. Between the two, I find the knowledge gained from studying Network+ to be far more comprehensive and technical than Security+ (which seem relatively easy compared to Network+). I guess I cannot say for sure until I pass the Security+ exam - hopefully in the next few weeks.

In summary, I found the knowledge gained from studying for and passing the Network+ exam to be invaluable.
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
  • Options
    I m doing ccna fundamentals currently r&s. So those are covered. Should I give it directly ?
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Network+ and Security+ will give you a good foundation. CCNA Security requires CCNA: R&S or CCENT. Cisco certifications are harder because not only are you going to have to know Network+ knowledge, you will have to know how to configure Cisco equipment with correct syntax.

The suggested solution: I would do Network+, Security+, then start towards CCENT/CCNA then CCNA: Security.
  • Options
    Suggestions for material for security +???
  • Options
    aaronwaaronw Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide

and

CompTIA Security + All-in-One Exam Guide (Exam SY0-301), 3rd Edition
  • Options
    teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    aaronw wrote: »
    CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide
    and
    CompTIA Security + All-in-One Exam Guide (Exam SY0-301), 3rd Edition
    I agree with your recommendation. I read both books cover to cover. They are both excellent resources and approach the Exam from different angles. Also, I recommend reading them in the order listed above.
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D