Options

MCSE 2008 or 2012

dannieboizdannieboiz Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
IMO the obvious is get 2012 and the lifespan of the cert would be longer.

But a little background. I'm an MCSA 2000 (yes very outdated)

I'm a Sr. Network Engineer for an organization that move very slow, we just completed our upgrade to 2008 a couple years ago. We'll probably be stuck here for maybe 2 to 3 more years before going to 2012.

We're in a long term contract and having the certs or not on my end doesn't affect my job, hence I've been lagging on updating.

If I did 2012 now, I'll probably forget everything by the time I get to use it. On the same token, our 2008 DC is pretty bare bone. After over 10 years in the business, I don't even have enterprise level experience.

However, i do want to update for personal purpose and if I should ever need to make myself marketable I'll have something to show. My exams and boot camps are expansible to my company and they encourage it.

I'm not sure if I should do 2008 or 2012. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is no such thing as MCSE 2008. The closest equivalent is MCITP Enterprise Administrator, which retires in January, and was previously set to retire in July. I would strongly advise against starting it at this point, especially if you don't have experience with the majority of the material.

MCSA Windows Server 2008 might be a better fit. It is not set to retire anytime soon and would be more approachable with your experience. However, the MCSA material doesn't change that much between versions. In trivial ways that you have to study to pass a test, absolutely. In some meaningful ways, sure. But ultimately most components provide the same function in the same manner. An MCSA 2012 will do just fine in a Server 2008 R2 environment, and an MCSA 2008 will do just fine in a Server 2012 environment. The MCSA 2012 is required for several of the MCSEs, however, and with more organizations considering a move to 2012, I think it is the better choice.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    I agree with MCSA Windows Server 2008 as well. After that, play around with Server 2012 in test lab and it is just one exam to upgrade from MCSA Server 2008 to MCSA 2012. That is what I recently took.
  • Options
    Just to recap and make sure I translate everything correctly...

Do the MCSA 2008 now

Eventually do the one exam to upgrade to MCSA 2012

then maybe down the road, do MCSE 2012

I'm guessing, do this path, I'll have 2008 and 2012 with the minimal exams to take.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    There is no such thing as MCSE 2008.

@ptilsen - that is not, strictly speaking, correct although I understand what you mean. There is an obscure Windows Server 2008 MCSE: Private Cloud certification: Private Cloud Certification | Microsoft

@dannieboiz - you seem to have all the points correct.
    Firstly: MCSA: Windows Server 2008 | Microsoft
    Leading to: MCSA: Windows Server 2008 | Microsoft
    and finally: MCSE Certification
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @ptilsen - that is not, strictly speaking, correct although I understand what you mean. There is an obscure Windows Server 2008 MCSE: Private Cloud certification: Private Cloud Certification | Microsoft

@dannieboiz - you seem to have all the points correct.
    Firstly: MCSA: Windows Server 2008 | Microsoft
    Leading to: MCSA: Windows Server 2008 | Microsoft
    and finally: MCSE Certification

Thanks for the link. Seems MCSA 2008 is now only 3 exams, I remember sitting in 4 or 5 exams for 2000. Time to get my learning on. :)
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ivanjam wrote: »

Holy crap, what?! When did that come out? Last I checked they were pretty strict about not putting versions on the MCSEs, and instead were going to have them require periodic recertification. Did I miss a big memo.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    looks like I got my work cut out

Taking exam 640, 642 and 646 will get you an MCSA Server 2008

then take exam 417 will upgrade you to MCSA 2012

Then for MCSE 2012 I'll need to take 415 and 416? So total is 6 exams?

BTW: How are the exams these days? Is it an amount of questions or are they still throwing random questions and if you miss a question it'll throw a similar question? I forgot what it's called but I remember I got in and out of some of my exams in 15 or 20 minutes.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @ptilsen - you are indeed correct that the version is not included in the name of the certification - they are both called MCSE Private Cloud but there are just two ways of earning it. icon_lol.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]