Options

Accepted a tempting job offer

ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
A Little background about me, I started in Helpdesk support, after a year I moved on to a Windows IT Support team, and later on moved on to another IT role(Win/Linux) in an InfoSec company, I(we) do everything there is, VoIP, Linux, Unix, Windows Server and end user support also.
I always had a passion for Linux, and knew this is the path I wanted to take, but being a 4 man IT team, you can't do just one thing.
So I managed to get several Linux certifications such as RHCE & LPIC3 (self educated) to backup my knowledge with some A4 papers, and basically spent my free time learning to code knowing its the top5 requirements in this field.

I recently had an interview with a very large company in the network/load balancing field, for a DevOps Engineer role, I was eager to pass it, but knew I had no pressure due to having a job already.
One thing I wanted to mention is that, one of the interview I had, the manager (not the direct manager) tried to push me to the corner by saying I am interviewing for a team of 8+ years experienced linux engineers and compared to them, I am nothing.

Knowing I had nothing to lose, I told him that he should check how I did in the tech interview I had earlier before making assumptions about someone he does not know... my Python/Perl/Bash/System administration skills were tested for over 2.5 hours straight before the meeting with him, and there were no theoretical questions I did not have answers to, so I felt confident.
After this interview (it was the 2nd out of 4) he said the interview is over and if they find me suitable for the part, they will call me.
I returned to work 30 mins later and I already received a call for the 3rd interview which felt great...
Today, I am already after 4 interviews and a job offer has been waiting in my email from them, they doubled(!) my salary, and thankfully, this gained my the DevOps role I was looking for.

just thought this could be a motivator for people, and my conclusion from it is don't let anyone get you down, it's all a silly role-playing game you have to know how to beat.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! Way to handle yourself in the interview.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Hard work really does pay off! Good luck in your new role, sounds like a perfect fit.
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Wow, that was wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Congrats!!!
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Congrats!

I like how you researched the type of role you wanted, built up the skills necessary for it, and then applied for a specific role that you were well qualified for. Since you were in a small team that did not give you the opportunity to build up these skills "on the job" you had to work on your own, via self-study.

Also, I like your level of confidence. No one knows it all, but it still takes a certain degree of confidence to say that you can walk the walk.

I may be using your post as an example to others in the future.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice work on the interview! The best part of this post is no crying about how you can't get a job. This is a breath of fresh air, thank you!
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!! What a great story. You set your goals, and you achieved them!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Congrats, and never let the man beat ya down. Good job and good luck. Your in inspiration to us that are still trying to crack in the field.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Will you have to work with said manager?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz! You earned it!
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Crikey wrote: »
    Will you have to work with said manager?
    Not directly, I am confident he is not a bad person, just tried to see my reactions and my self-confidence while crap is thrown towards me.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Always a thrill to hear stories like this...congrats on the positon!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very motivating
    Congrats
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Very good job! And very good interview skills! Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good story and well done on getting the new job, always good to know that someone was finally accepted into a good job.
  • Options
    RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Excellent work, friend.