Options

employee background screening

Waria AhmedWaria Ahmed Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All

I have accepted a new job for a big finance company. They started the employee background check straight away and told me it would take 10 working days to complete.

They then sent out a contract a week later, which I signed and returned straight away. However it has now been 3 weeks. (14 working days) and I havent heard anything back from anyone regarding my employment.

I know for a fact my credit rating and criminal record is perfect. Just getting abit worried over the hold up. I emailed the hr contact as well as my agency and none have replied. Is this normal?

Wondering if anyone had any advice or experience relating to this?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Give them a call and ask. No one here can tell you whats up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi All

I have accepted a new job for a big finance company. They started the employee background check straight away and told me it would take 10 working days to complete.

They then sent out a contract a week later, which I signed and returned straight away. However it has now been 3 weeks. (14 working days) and I havent heard anything back from anyone regarding my employment.

I know for a fact my credit rating and criminal record is perfect. Just getting abit worried over the hold up. I emailed the hr contact as well as my agency and none have replied. Is this normal?

Wondering if anyone had any advice or experience relating to this?

Thanks

Regarding background checks and credit checks read the following as, generally, a potential employer is required to obtain your consent to obtain your credit report (some exceptions apply) but here is what I've learned:

"Generally, only an employer or prospective employer needs your written consent to obtain a report. An exception is Vermont where any user needs your oral or written consent..." (quoted from: https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs6-crdt.htm#7)

Hope this helps. Good info for anyone to know.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Definitely call them and follow up. I don't know the particular details but I've heard of cases where the background check takes longer than usual even though all is good at the end.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Something isn't right and I would have them on the phone. I'd even show up in person to get it straightened out, otherwise move on to something else.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Yes will chase up with my agency tomorrow to see if she can advise.

Thing that worries me is after 30th sept the company has permission to seek references from my current employers which would really piss a few people off.

Thanks
  • Options
    So I phoned my agency who said will chase up for me but since I didnt hear back, I phoned the screening company direct. The agent responsible for my check said the screening had cleared and now was waiting for confirmation from to complete the check by contacting my current employers. (I had asked to hold off contacting current employers until I had my start date confirmed)

Turns out im now waiting for hr to act. Not sure how long that process is now lol.

Thanks all