Options

Icnd 2 640-816

biggishbiggish Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Took the icnd 2 today and screwed up big time due to poor time management. Only completed two-thirds of the exam.
Need tips on completing the exam. I am comfortable with the concepts, but questions with exibits and scenario takes too long to figure out for me.
Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Hate to state the obvious, but if you are comfortable with the material you just need to work on your speed. I usually don't recommend practice exams, but maybe something like that can get you used to the test taking environment and help with your speed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Just resetting my lab. Do I need a subinterface per vlan I set up, or could I use the main interface as a separate vlan?
  • Options
    Well, maybe you don't have it all down! What are you trying to accomplish would be the first question.
  • Options
    Just trying to get hosts on both vlans to communicate with each other, and the internet, through the router
  • Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Router on a stick is what that is called. And yes, you need a different sub interface for each vlan you are running.
  • Options
    I think you may need a bit more studying than you think.
  • Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Agreed. Router on a stick is one of the first things you learn. At least, it should be.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd recommend to regroup, get the new ICND 2 Cisco press book and take the 200-101 when you're ready and achieve your CCNA that way.
  • Options
    D-starD-star Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    biggish wrote: »
    Just resetting my lab. Do I need a subinterface per vlan I set up, or could I use the main interface as a separate vlan?

As many have replied with the correct answer here is a video on how to make a router on a stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPE65ldRTU
  • Options
    Thanks a lot guys. Set up and all working. Needed to confirm that
  • Options
    SerpenteSerpente Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you really know the material. After that, you can use practice exams to get faster.

I took my ICND 2 last Friday and failed. I was pressured for time since I wanted to get in before the current exam was retired. I had finished the last 350 pages of the Odom book the night before and had a few hours sleep. I knew the material fairly well, but I wasn't quick at retrieving it from my head and I had the same problem where I took a lot of time to interpret the question and find the answer. Well, I took the exam because I wanted to have a spare 5 days in case I failed and I ran out of time. 790/1000 and had 5 questions left. For 3-4 days after that I just did practice questions and reinforced my knowledge when I didn't know a correct answer. Practised questions all day for about 3 days straight. Took the exam yesterday; finished in 35 minutes with a score of 986/1000. I didn't really study the material again, just practised to get faster at understanding the questions, knowing what to look for and figuring out the answer. It also helped that I knew what to expect the second time around and how to prepare for it.

Good luck with your next exam. Practising the labs is also important because you don't want to waste your time trying to figure out how to do what is asked in the question. You want to be able to just read the question, go in, configure it, bring your interfaces up, save your config, and move on.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will be doing it again on Monday. I have been practicing questions for the last 5 days. I am working on my speed, and understanding of the questions.
    Very good advice, really appreciate it. At this point, I am not even studying the material anymore.
    Thanks once again and congrats on an excellent score
  • Options
    johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Cisco throws training camp of one week to help pass which charges up to 2 grands if not more. I doubt how much difference it can make by one week talk. It might just be the practice exams used in the camp that does magic.
    Hate to state the obvious, but if you are comfortable with the material you just need to work on your speed. I usually don't recommend practice exams, but maybe something like that can get you used to the test taking environment and help with your speed.