Options

Changing role to Security

Hello, I am currently working as a QA worker for a med-sized company.

I am working for a MS in Network Security.

How shall I switch roles? Security+ would be a must, to start, right?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I assume you're wanting network security since your MS is in it? I agree that Security+ is a good start. Then look into getting CCNA Security and work your way up to what you want to be doing. Some that popup on the list later on down the road after those would be CISSP and maybe CCNP Security?
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would think that Security+ would be a step down, seeing as you're already in the IT security industry. What facet of security are you looking at?

EDIT: Sorry, I read that as you're looking to move into MS Security. I would work towards a CCNA/CCNP Security.
  • Options
    sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    Not sure how I will gather materials for CCNA Security. Not as much as there are for R&S. Labs, etc... Help/Advice appreciated!
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    The ocg is good. I also liked CBT. It's an introduction so nothing too serious.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    OCG as in Official Cert Guide by Keith?

Also, Is CCNA Security less intense than R&S? I found R&S quite challenging to pass. I'd be scared to have to take it again.
  • Options
    Yes, ocg is the Official Certification Guide.

CCNA R&S is a lot harder than CCNA Security. CCNA Sec will only build upon things you learned up until now with a few that are new. I would definitely say it is less intense than R&S.

Also, make sure to know your way around CCP. You're probably not going to need it in the real world but it is required for the exam.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm bad with acronyms. What's CCP?
  • Options
    Cisco Configuration Professional. It is a tool that provides a GUI for administration. Instead of typing in commands you configure a device using CCP. However, it is a very good idea to be familiar with both the Graphical User Interface and the Command Line Interface. Some people tend to neglect the GUI(I'm guilty of that) but it is on the exam.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Something to note - Administration certifications will prepare you for administration/engineering roles. Cisco certs won't help a bit with Incident Response; conversely studying analysis and IR methodology won't help you understand Checkpoint or ASA syntax. The CISSP won't help much with either - I see it as more of a marketing piece for the resume and for those looking for management roles in infosec.

There are many facets of security, and I recommend exploring all of them before diving down the rabbit hole.
  • Options
    How do I setup GNS3 for CCP practice? I know no JUNIPER stuffs are available legally for GNS3 image, etc. I've done nothing or know anything about GNS3. (I did it with Simulators that were out in the market for R&S). Please help me. lol.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd double check on the CCP. In the new CCNA, the CCP is phased out and I bet it is for the CCNA Security. I have my own 860 router at home and there was no CCP available for it (not that I looked hard, but...).
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Please try this link:

CCNA 5ecur!ty 640-554 LAB. Installing CCP & ASDM on GNS3 Video 1/2 - YouTube

It came up first when I googled "gns3 for ccp" hehe. :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Was talking more as in how to acquire images to simulate route rand switching devices. But thanks nonetheless.