Options

Be patient or check out new job offer?

Hi all,

I want to give a little background before asking my question. I was offered a job as a contractor for a (3-letter) gov't agency in October of last year, and have been waiting for just about a year for the clearance process to go through. I am extremely excited about the job, but mostly about the opportunities that the job will open up for me. I have a BS in CS, and will have my MS in IA next year, so I know that will definitely open doors for me, and by working there I will already have my foot in the door for my next career advancement in IA and/or Cybersecurity. With that said, I received an email from a headhunter yesterday about several job opening in Kuwait. The company is ITT Exelis.

My question is, do I sit and wait to the gov't agency, or do I find out more and potentially accept an offer with ITT Exelis.

(I really, really want the gov't agency job because of the doors that will be open for me, and am afraid that that door will be temporarily closed if I am not available because I am working overseas for a different company. I know that this may answer my own question, but TBH, I am getting somewhat impatient.)

Thanks for all of your answers.

Comments

• Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Are you already working? Have you called to get an idea of how much longer you will have to wait? A year is a long time to wait but it is the government (I'm assuming federal). LOL
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I call the contracting company every other week for a status update. Currently, they are waiting on the final paperwork to come through with the approval from the gov't. Unfortunately, they can not give me an ETA because they simply do not know and it is out of their control. I have gone through the entire process already, and I know I am on the last stretch of this, but I have been on the "last stretch" since June of this year with no status.

Edit: I am working right now for a private company currently and waiting for the clearance approval before putting in my two weeks.
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Based on this information, I think you should wait a couple more months and see what happens. The federal government is known to have long waiting times.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Since you are already working and really want this job I'd agree to wait a little longer. If you were in need of a job I'd say take the sure thing rather than waiting though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say wait. You would need a clearance to go work with ITT Exelis anyway. I used to work for them for a couple of years.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Thanks you guys for the responses. That was the way I was leaning, and I guess I just needed the confirmation. BTW, I talked to my wife about it, and she was seriously thinking about letting me do it which completely surprised me. Thanks again guys.