Options

Best certs for starting out?

TerrieTerrie Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm making a career switch (isn't everyone these days?) from librarianship to IT. I have a Masters in Library/Information Science and a JD. I am not interested going back to school -- while I've seen people on this forum complain about cert. exam costs, school is even more expensive in my experience. I'm currently studying for the A+, since it should help patch up the holes in what I've learned on my own as a librarian (which is a strange patchwork of odds and ends) and show I know at least the basics. From there, I figure I'll need to put in my time at something entry level, gaining experience while working on further certifications. Only, I'm not sure what certifications to go for next. It looks like Network+/Security+/CCENT are all fairly popular, but I prefer to focus on one thing at a time in studying, so which one to start with? I'm looking mainly for input from people who've been in the field a short while, or from people who do hiring. No offense to everyone else, but I've seen a lot of more experienced IT people dismissing some basic certifications as stuff "Everyone knows" and therefore worthless, but as someone who's done a lot of work with the public, I've seen college students who don't know how to add a printer, so I think it's worth showing that, yes, I know at least the theory.

Comments

• Options
    Navi+Navi+ Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your question is similar to mine.
    Thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/93488-what-next-step-after-comptia-newbie-here-starting-career.html

Basically, most of the answers I got went something like this:

Start with A+, then compliment it with Network+ and Security+

The "CompTIA Trio", as it is called. That will get you started in the right direction.

From there, you can choose where to go, but at least you'll have the fundamentals (the "theory" as you said) under your belt.

Those certs will help you get your foot in the door at an entry-level job. Either Help Desk, Desktop Support or something similar.
    Then you can get more certs from there to specialize on whatever you want. If you go for CCENT/CCNA/CCNP, then you're leaning more towards the networking side of IT. But if you want to move up to bigger things like servers and admin stuff, you're going to need them.

Certs only help if you gain experience through them. I'm currently attending a 3-month training course to get my A+ and N+ (and it is really strengthening my knowledge)
  • Options
    RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My first cert was n plus. I got interview calls after I added it to my resume, help desk stuff, but it got me more call backs than my undergrad degree did.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As said I would do Network+, Security+ then evaluate. There is the System Administration path (Unix/Linux, Microsoft) and the Networking side (Cisco, Juniper, Palo Alto). I have been changing careers as well and frankly Cisco seems to assume some knowledge even on the CCENT which is the entry level certification. Not to say you couldn't go that route but it will take longer most likely. By doing Network+ you will have networking concept knowledge and then can dive deeper using Cisco and learning command line syntax. It all depends on your interests...sys admin or networking.
  • Options
    Thanks all! Sounds like my best bet is to get my CompTIA trio of certs and some experience and then decide what side ofthings I like best.
  • Options
    essqueessque Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the heads up on CompTIA, i'm going to get started asap.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Microsoft has the MTA path if you have an interest. I warn you that it is very basic and you would probably get more value out of CompTIA, but they are still nice for beginners who know they want to ride the MS train.
  • Options
    LAN_ManLAN_Man Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would stay away from almost all Comptia Certs, you time and money would be better used studying for the CCNA.
  • Options
    LAN_Man wrote: »
    I would stay away from almost all Comptia Certs, you time and money would be better used studying for the CCNA.

What if somebody doesn't like networking? Or wants to work for the government where at least one of Network+ and Security+ are required? Understanding the conceptual side of things first can make learning syntax and configuration that much clearer.
  • Options
    dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCENT, easily replaces the Net+ but the Sec+ is worth your time and money.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You don't need a cert to prove you know how to add a printer. That's easily displayed with a tech interview. If anything, your biggest problem is going to be people who wonder why you got your Law Degree and now want to get an entry level helpdesk job. For some reason, I feel like you're destined for the Security or Management side of the house, but that's just a guess.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A+ and CCENT should put you in a pretty good place. If afterwards you feel like moving forward I would consider the CCNA or the MCSA. You should be certified enough to get an entry level job and move up.
  • Options
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    What if somebody doesn't like networking? Or wants to work for the government where at least one of Network+ and Security+ are required? Understanding the conceptual side of things first can make learning syntax and configuration that much clearer.

You have to decide which way you want to go. If you your not into networking and more into systems, you then have to think about Linux or Windows.
  • Options
    You have to decide which way you want to go. If you your not into networking and more into systems, you then have to think about Linux or Windows.

I said this early on in this thread...the confusion is you tell the op to go for a Cisco Associate level networking certification (which is probably way more advanced that a sys admin needs) instead of getting Network+, which focuses on the conceptual ideas of a network and then go for systems. The logic doesn't make any sense and takes away from the time and resources that could be spent on a sys certification. CompTIA exams give a taste of networking and security and help provide direction without needing any equipment or simulators.
  • Options
    I said this early on in this thread...the confusion is you tell the op to go for a Cisco Associate level networking certification (which is probably way more advanced that a sys admin needs) instead of getting Network+, which focuses on the conceptual ideas of a network and then go for systems. The logic doesn't make any sense and takes away from the time and resources that could be spent on a sys certification. CompTIA exams give a taste of networking and security and help provide direction without needing any equipment or simulators.

Sorry, I missed your first post. CCENT does cover networking and security fundamentals and will look alot better on a resume than Network+ Source: CCENT - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For what it is worth, I'd start by joining a local IT group. You can find them on linkedin. I did that while I was doing my transition from USAF to IT in the Denver area. Call it my midlife crisis. As such, I used the CompTIA "Trio" training/cert path to validate the 17 years of experience I have breaking and fixing computers and to fill in some holes I had. Those certs got my foot in the door to get interviewed by several companies before landing a job with a rather large telecom company (one that most haven't heard of, strangely enough. Google the Starbucks/Google deal, if you are curious). Remember, CompTIA certs aren't for everyone. If you know that you want to go sys admin, and have experience, jumping into MCSA-type training might be a better spend. If you want to do the network thing, CCNA could be a better path to take. Yet, as has been pointed out already, the trio will lay a really good foundation for one who doesn't have a ton of knowledge and they might land you in your first entry-level position. You've got to know the market conditions before paying for the training or certs. Some markets won't talk to you with them, some require you to have them (DoD, for instance). Without that knowledge, you may very well be spending money that will provide no real return on investment. Avoiding that at all costs is both obvious and imperative. Regardless, good luck on your career change. Enjoy the ride!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    PKHComputingPKHComputing Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CompTIA certifications are the standard introduction courses. They should help you to land an entry level job in IT but I would not expect to get anything more than that unless you are well connected. To help get a job, you can add certifications which you are currently working towards to your CV but make it clear that they are still in progress - you are not telling any lies and it shows initiative and determiation on your part.

If you cannot get an entry level job in IT then start hustling...work for free at you local hardware store, help out your friends and family. All this exposure can be added to your CV and increase your chances of getting your foot in the door. 6 months working in an IT environment will be worth far more than all of your CompTIA certifications combined.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    Sorry, I missed your first post. CCENT does cover networking and security fundamentals and will look alot better on a resume than Network+ Source: CCENT - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

I am not questioning that Cisco certs show more of a grasp on the material but without getting a simulator, actual equipment, or rack rentals...you don't stand much of a chance at passing. The Cisco simulator for Wendell's book runs like $80 and equipment could make it more expensive. You could get through Network+ without having done a simulator or hands on. So you might end up spending well over what Network+ costs and decide you do not like networking.
  • Options
    I am not questioning that Cisco certs show more of a grasp on the material but without getting a simulator, actual equipment, or rack rentals...you don't stand much of a chance at passing. The Cisco simulator for Wendell's book runs like $80 and equipment could make it more expensive. You could get through Network+ without having done a simulator or hands on. So you might end up spending well over what Network+ costs and decide you do not like networking.
    Well if spending $200 on your career isn't worthwhile, maybe you're in the wrong career.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    For the person who started the thread who has a degree in Library, as well as a Law degree, I'd suggest these two certs:
    1 - Security+
    2 - CISSP

I believe that you would roll over excellently to Legal/Compliance/Policy type of work, just based on your schooling and your work as a librarian.

This might give you better ROI than a lot of other combinations of certifications.

If you want to shore up your technical knowledge, there is much material available to read on any given topic. (As a librarian, you probably already know this.) Set up a home lab, and go at it.

Alternatively, you could look at it from the side of working with vendors who provide technology to libraries. Since you know how it works "from the inside" you might be able to bring a fresh insight that an outsider wouldn't.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Well if spending $200 on your career isn't worthwhile, maybe you're in the wrong career.

I find it comical when people don't read the original posts and jump into a discussion. I will recap for you...He was originally saying the money would be a waste on CompTIA. So the person should spend extra money on networking if they decide they want to go to system administration? This is not a matter of "should you invest in yourself" but a matter of what will give you the most bang for the buck and be flexible to make a decision. Network+ by nature will cost less than Cisco because there is no need for simulators and equipment, gives a taste of networking...and if op decides to go that route a good foundation for networking into Cisco or Juniper certs...but if not the op will save money that can be invested towards things like a Windows Server setup to get experience using that. This was about a good path...not the "no path" plan.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, and I apologize but I have to ask: What the hell is a degree in Library? Like, what do you study or what is its application?
  • Options
    Wow, life got hectic and I didn't check this thread for while. I took my A+ exams and passed. A couple answers to some of the questions:

1) Why I'm seeking an entry level job despite having a law degree: Because law degrees are expensive pieces of crap these days. You're better off setting fire to your money. After several years working as a law librarian (why I had a law degree), I lost my job because the economy sucks, and there are, on average, maybe five openings at any given time nationwide for the work I did. The competition is insane. So I'm changing careers, and I recognize that while I've done some work with IT as a librarian, I need the direct entry-level work to strengthen my existing skills.

2) A Masters in Library and Information Science is the basic degree for librarians (not paraprofessionals, like circulation clerks or shelvers, but actual librarians). The basics covered are collection management (selection, weeding, etc), reference work and research skills, cataloging principles, and some basic managerial skills, though I got stuck in a class that was a huge waste of time. Plus any specialized work, such as children's, young adult, medical, legal, etc, that you might want to pursue.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Terrie wrote: »
    2) A Masters in Library and Information Science is the basic degree for librarians (not paraprofessionals, like circulation clerks or shelvers, but actual librarians). The basics covered are collection management (selection, weeding, etc), reference work and research skills, cataloging principles, and some basic managerial skills, though I got stuck in a class that was a huge waste of time. Plus any specialized work, such as children's, young adult, medical, legal, etc, that you might want to pursue.

You should look into the "Instructional Technologist" position in higher ed.
  • Options
    Perhaps InfoSec should be your direction. Start with Helpdesk or Deskside (because you already have the people skills) and study up on InfoSec from there. I assume law and security go hand in hand.
  • Options
    There's a certain irony in leaving the crowded law field for IT, whereas if you had gotten a high level computer degree and gone into patent law, you'd be in high demand.

At any rate, welcome to the club.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    So far, it looks the best use for my law degree is understanding licensing agreements. I am leaning towards education IT, just because I like working with students.

I wouldn't have been happy as a patent lawyer. I actually liked working in public service . I liked helping people. And I certainly wasn't in it for the money.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's a certain irony in leaving the crowded law field for IT, whereas if you had gotten a high level computer degree and gone into patent law, you'd be in high demand.

At any rate, welcome to the club.

There was a brief period of time where I considered leaving my InfoSec job to pursue a JD with focus on intellectual property. And I probably would if I didn't have children to support. Apparently I'm supposed to keep them fed and stuff :-/
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Terrie wrote: »
    So far, it looks the best use for my law degree is understanding licensing agreements.

Hahahahaha. This is comical. Most EULAs say this: "this product may not work and might even harm you in some way, please press F8 to accept, or ESC to cancel". EULAs often look like the software industry's equivalent of drug warning labels.
    I am leaning towards education IT, just because I like working with students.

OK, you can work in education IT. Just think of seeking higher level/more influential roles that can utilize your background. Please consider earlier comments about compliance/policy/infosec. I believe that you are probably closer to meeting the security domain requirements for CISSP than you might realize:

https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx

Note two of the domains:
    Information Security Governance and Risk Management

the identification of an organization’s information assets and the development, documentation and implementation of policies, standards, procedures and guidelines.
    • Security governance and policy
    • Information classification/ownership
    • Contractual agreements and procurement processes
    • Risk management concepts
    • Personnel security
    • Security education, training and awareness
    • Certification and accreditation
    Legal, Regulations, Investigations and Compliance
    addresses computer crime laws and regulations; the investigative measures and techniques which can be used to determine if a crime has been committed and methods to gather evidence.
    • Legal issues
    • Investigations
    • Forensic procedures
    • Compliance requirements/procedures
    I certainly wasn't in it for the money.

You don't have to be in it for the money. You don't have to keep all the money you make to yourself. I believe that your background in library and law might meet the experience requirements (without knowing the exact nature of your work, cannot be too sure). You could judge this for yourself.

If you're able to read laws, you're able to read things closely for meaning, which is probably the most critical skill for passing CISSP.

Please consider earlier comments recommending the Security+/CISSP track.

You can help a LOT of people by educating them about information security.

Heck, just to bring this full circle, I know a CISSP who is currently pursuing a J.D. He's done a lot of work with colleges in the past, and is working for one right now.

Please connect with me on LinkedIn, and I can connect you to him, so that you guys can converse or something.

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    I will definitely consider InfoSec. Thanks for all the input, everyone.
  • Options
    I should add that one area I'm also considering is database work. As a librarian (despite having a JD, I have never practiced and have always been a librarian first and foremost), I worked heavily with commercial informational databases, though mainly from the user-instructional side. While syntax may vary, a query is a query is a query.