Options

Best certs for starting out?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Terrie wrote: »
    I should add that one area I'm also considering is database work. As a librarian (despite having a JD, I have never practiced and have always been a librarian first and foremost), I worked heavily with commercial informational databases, though mainly from the user-instructional side. While syntax may vary, a query is a query is a query.

If you want to get into databases, I suggest you learn sql. I think of a query as having the answer, but knowing what question to ask and how to ask it to get the answer. Understand commands such as insert, query, delete, and update. Understand redundancy and normalization. Understand the concept of a relation as it relates to a relational database. You are going to have to learn sql through an extension such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It depends on what area of IT you want to specialize in but I always like to suggest starting with the ComTIA (A+, Network+, Security+) certs to build a nice solid foundational knowledge before you decide where to go. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63