Options

Which track should I start my studies with? 2008 or 2012?

alexander77alexander77 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm thinking about starting my studies on the MCSA track, should I start with teh MCSA 2008 or start my studies with 2012?

Comments

• Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    In your current job are you working with Server 2008 and/or R2?
    Is there is a plan to upgrade to Server 2012 soon?
    Do you already have experience with Server 2008 R2?

Basically if you already have experience with server 2008 i'd do the MCSA 2008 then upgrade to MCSA 2012 and then complete the MCSE 2012. This way you are validating your skill set. If you are looking to get a new jobs through certifications then I'd still do 2008 R2 first because there is a ton of companies that are still/just upgrading to Server 2008 R2. I guess over all the only reason to skip it would be if you have to be involved in a migration to Server 2012 in the near future.

What is your current situation? If I know more details I might be able to help more.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    alexander77alexander77 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EV42TMAN wrote: »
    In your current job are you working with Server 2008 and/or R2?
    Is there is a plan to upgrade to Server 2012 soon?
    Do you already have experience with Server 2008 R2?

Basically if you already have experience with server 2008 i'd do the MCSA 2008 then upgrade to MCSA 2012 and then complete the MCSE 2012. This way you are validating your skill set. If you are looking to get a new jobs through certifications then I'd still do 2008 R2 first because there is a ton of companies that are still/just upgrading to Server 2008 R2. I guess over all the only reason to skip it would be if you have to be involved in a migration to Server 2012 in the near future.

What is your current situation? If I know more details I might be able to help more.

I'm currently doing support in a Server 2008 R2 enviroment. I am looking to increase my skills and obtain a system admin job soon so I figured the best start would be to study more of 2008 or 2012. This is in a government setting and they are very slow to migrate, I don't see them moving to 2012 anytime soon. I have experience setting up 2008 domain on VMWare but no real professional experience since 90% of my job is on the deskside.