Options

What is this Equipment I'm using to connect to the ISP?

sarahanandsarahanand Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
SO I have a wireless router that connects to the equipment in the image below. The box has 4 LEDs for Telephone, 1 LED for VoIP, 4 for LAN, 1 for Auth and 1 for Link and power. So what is this equipment my routers connecting to to connect to the ISP?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Looks like a modem/router combo used in most home or small business deployments. Not sure of the exact brand.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Its belongs to the telecom operator here in Dubai called Etisalat.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Find the MAC address and perform a look-up the exact chipset of the... thing.
  • Options
    Would I have to go through the router to get the MAC address?
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    It should be printed on the back or most likely on the bottom.
  • Options
    That's the problem here, I cannot turn the box. Its been pinned to the wall. But shouldn't it show up on my network through the router? I tried checking the devices to the router, it shows my phone, my desktop PC, laptop, but does not show any connection the this box.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Boot up Wireshark, attempt to ping/telnet into the device and inspect the ICMP packet to see what the destination MAC address is of the device. Using that address, you should be able to find the chipset; or Wireshark may automatically resolve the MAC address into a manufacturer.

Or run an 'arp ip-add -a'

That should work too.
  • Options
    But I should know the IP address of this device right, to ping into it. I cant find anywhere.
  • Options
    D-starD-star Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sarahanand wrote: »
    But I should know the IP address of this device right, to ping into it. I cant find anywhere.

You could try to ping 192.168.1.1 which is usually the default inside-local address for the router.
  • Options
    I already have the address for my router. Its the details of this other device my routers connected to that I need the details of.
  • Options
    SiyabSiyab Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like standard modem mostly used in smaller businesses and home.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is there a public ip assigned to your router's WAN interface or is it a private ip? If it's a private ip then your device is a modem router combo and your router is NAT'd behind it. You should also be able to ping whatever the default gateway is and that would be your modem. If it's a public ip assigned to the WAN interface of your router then your modem would be operating as a regular modem. In that case, there's usually an alternate private ip address on a normally unused subnet that you would be able use to access your modems web interface but you would have to get the make and model of the device and then look up the default configuration for the device to find out what that default ip address is. Brighthouse usually uses something like 192.168.100.1 but it could honestly be anything.

Edit: Like someone else mentioned, wireshark may be a good idea as well. If it turns out that it's not a router modem combo then you could plug your computer directly into the modem and run wireshark to filter out any internal network traffic like the router that's between your computer and the modem.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sarahanand wrote: »
    That's the problem here, I cannot turn the box. Its been pinned to the wall. But shouldn't it show up on my network through the router? I tried checking the devices to the router, it shows my phone, my desktop PC, laptop, but does not show any connection the this box.

Did you try shifting it in different directions so that it comes loose?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Did you try shifting it in different directions so that it comes loose?

Yes, I manged to move it. Its a GPON device, a FTTH architecture(fiber-to-the-home).