Options

Starting Fresh

So, I have pretty much decided that I will drop the Client certification path and go for Server instead. I found that I was forcing myself to go through the materials instead of really having fun and learning stuff. I think AD 08 (640) will be my first stop on the Server side, unless someone points me in another direction.

Before I start that though, I was curious if you guys think I should stop by CompTIA and pick up an N+? I honestly know very little in the way of networking (shamefully so...) and learning the N+ will be just like learning the client side stuff, but I know it will build a strong foundation.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since you are starting over, why not jump straight to the 2012 certs? By the time you get around to finishing the 2008 ones, many companies will be moving or would have moved to 2012 (assuming 4-5 months per exam). Latest, greatest certs if I were you.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Net+ helped me a lot and Id recommend it to anyone.
    Im studying for ICND1 right now and almost all of it (besides the CLI) seems to be review.

As for the Server stuff good luck!
    I passed the 70-640 and I did not like it one bit. (So much so that Im taking a break from the MCSA 2008 cert)
    Hopefully you'll enjoy it more than I did.
  • Options
    ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    I'm currently studying for MCSA 2008 as well. This post was by MeatCatalogue from another thread:

"2012 Cert is largely worthless at this time. I do enterprise support and the breakdown of cases I've seen in the last say, 3 months:

60% Server 2003 & 2003 R2
    35% Server 2008 & 2008 R2
    4.7% Server 2000
    0.3% Server 2012 (exactly one case)
    0.0% NT4/NT 3.5

So if you were to learn any tech, it would be 2003, but 2008 is gaining steam now. At least Server 2012 is more popular than NT4 now. Unless you already have a job and said job requires 2012 certs there is ZERO reason to get them at this point."

This, among other factors, is why I'm going with 2008 for now and I can always take the single upgrade test for 2012 eventually.
    :lol:
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I highly recommend the 2008 track, I've been working on it my self. It's a pretty tough track and the 640 will teach you a ton about AD.

the 642 the one I'm on now will teach you more then the Net+ will, it would be helpful to have that base knowledge prior to starting the 642, but its not required IMHO.

If you really study hard you should be able to knock the Net+ out in 1-2 months if you go that route.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Also if you are employed in IT I would factor that in. My employer is still using 2008 and plans to do that for a long time.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I appreciate the quick and thought provoking responses. I agree that I should be able to go from 0 to N+ in 2 months at the most and will likely force myself into that path to ensure a good foundation. Past that, I would have to review the 2012 route vs. the 2008 as I have not reviewed any of the 2012 material. Thanks again for the input.
  • Options
    linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for MCSA 2008 as well. This post was by MeatCatalogue from another thread:

"2012 Cert is largely worthless at this time. I do enterprise support and the breakdown of cases I've seen in the last say, 3 months:

60% Server 2003 & 2003 R2
    35% Server 2008 & 2008 R2
    4.7% Server 2000
    0.3% Server 2012 (exactly one case)
    0.0% NT4/NT 3.5

So if you were to learn any tech, it would be 2003, but 2008 is gaining steam now. At least Server 2012 is more popular than NT4 now. Unless you already have a job and said job requires 2012 certs there is ZERO reason to get them at this point."

This, among other factors, is why I'm going with 2008 for now and I can always take the single upgrade test for 2012 eventually.

This is the stupidest thing I've read today.
  • Options
    LAN_ManLAN_Man Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it all depends on the way you want your career to go. If you are looking to work on more of the systems side I would stick with the windows certs, but if you want to go networking I would do the CCENT instead of the network+. I would stay away from CompTIA certs.
  • Options
    This is the stupidest thing I've read today.

Can you explain why my post/quote was so stupid?
  • Options
    linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you think that the MCSE 2012 covers only 2012 technologies? Do you not think you'll learn basic AD/DNS/SCCM along the way? Of course you will. You'll learn the underlying technology and the new way of doing things with the new features. To say a current cert is worthless is asinine. The 2008 exams are being retired for a reason; out with the old, in with the new. There's nothing wrong with being on the forefront of technology.

I say all of this having finished my MCSE 2012 Server Infrastructure yesterday.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think there is anything wrong with pursuing a 2008 MS certification but why would you? IT is in constant flux and you want to learn what's coming down the pipe, not what's almost passed. To get an MSCA or MCSE on 2008 is going to require a whole bunch of effort on your part. Why not put that effort toward 2012 and the future?
  • Options
    I understand there are new features not included in older versions because that happens with every new OS. I can't say if employers care if you have a 2008 cert or 2012 (unless specified), but it seems like in the real world 2012 isn't being used much. That doesn't necessarily mean pursuing MCSA 2012 is worthless because, like you said, you'll still learn the foundational information. 2008 with 1 additional exam for 2012 sounded more ideal to me.