Options

Applying BD skills to Project Management

Hi all,

Just looking for some general advice on applying biz dev/sales skills to a project management resume.

I wear a lot of hats currently doing BD at a tech company but am looking to make a switch to project analyst role in healthcare org with an ultimate goal to turn this into project management.

Just looking for some advice on some skills that are commonly transferrable that I could highlight on a resume.

The way I see it is that every sales cycle is some form of "project" (ie designing success criteria, working in conjunction with a team, meeting deadlines, building/highlighting potential use cases and ROI data etc.) but I think maybe I am having trouble articulating it.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    bumping.. nada?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would look for account management. You'll take on some of the roles as a PM like resource management, budget, time management, etc. But with a client facing approach which honestly will get you paid more. Some other titles I would keep an eye for, Engagement Management, Client Relationship Manager, Program Manager, Project Manager, Account Management and Business Development Manager. Account Sales would also be something to consider. I don't know a lot about you but a project analyst in my experience is a admin assistance on steroids.
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    Account management in my exp is strictly sales...

I do know what you mean though about admin assistance on steroids... though it seems like it may be a good path to project management of some sorts... and I know becoming a PM without any real project related exp is a catch 22.

Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: assist with project coordination and logistics, manage program documents, help develop project plans, timelines, statuses, complete meeting minutes and special projects as needed.

Maybe I should rephrase... not really looking for a sales-ish role, but more looking at how to articulate transferable sales skills TOWARDS a PM type of role.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Engagement Management, Client Relationship Manager, Program Manager. Project Analyst is for a college grad or a someone really green to project management I mean GREEN. I would at least look for a Project Management role. BTW Account Management can have a component of sales but usually deals with a lot more resource management and CRM. That's just my view. I personally think an Engagement Manager position would be great. Check them out, your skills should align nicely.