Options

Generally how long can you be out the field...

until your experience is no longer considered relevant?

I was a NOC lead operator for 6 years, but been out of the field the last 7 because of a move, and wasn't able to find another NOC job. Will employers take that experience into consideration, or would I be pretty much considered a newb?

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would imagine your experience would still have some relevance. However, you have to realize that technology evolves so quickly, so what you were working with 7 years ago may not be as relavent as what's currently on the racks at DCs nowadays. I don't think you would be considered a noob, but if someone where to bring you on board, they may require that you pick up some new certs or complete some training to get back into the game.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    I'm hoping to get back into a DC as an operator, help desk, or possibly Jr. network support role with an A+ and CCNA that I'm shooting for within a year. Glad to know my prior experience still could possibly work in my favor.

Thanks!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It'll be weird explaining your situation but you should be able to get another position with it. I think some managers will hold it against you and other won't so much. Just get out there and start applying. Good luck!
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If I have learned anything from reading on here and the little bit of life experience I have with this subject...its that there is no solid answer. Just like N2IT says, it will depend on every manager or hiring personnel. Some might not care either way, some might see it as experience and you will just need a little work to get up too speed. Yet other might see you as a rotten apple that was bumped off the IT cart 7 years ago.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It will also largely depend on what you were doing for the past 6 years and why you left IT. People do move so you probably would want to make sure that you can explain it. Most hiring managers will take those factors into account. For example - if you had to move home to take care of an ill family member for 6 years versus move because you were incarcerated for the past 6 years - that will play a big factor in the decision process of hiring managers.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with paul78. Why you were away from it so long is going to be the biggest concern. You said you couldn't find another NOC job, but could you not find a technology related job at all? Be prepared to explain this.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    paul78, that's exactly the reason. I moved from Atlanta to Indianapolis to be closer to my elderly father who was in Chicago. He passed on last year, I'm now working on moving back to Atlanta, hopefully next year.

The IT job market is very small in Indy, so for the last 6 years, I've been working as a security guard. Now that you mention it, Networker050184, maybe I should've tried to get any job that was tech related just to stay in the game. Ah, well, anyway, I have to update my resume, and then start applying.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances. There is a certain nobility in what you sacrificed and hoping you will be pleasantly surprised when you start to interview that prospective hiring managers will have empathy for the gap in your career.
  • Options
  • Options
    SGITSGIT Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was told by three different recruiting firms that they need experience in the last three years. Employers however my different.
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great topic. I myself had been out of the game for 5 years. Last job I had was help desk, but lost my job due to outsourcing. My wife at the time and I had a son and I took the first job I could in order to get health insurance. Now, that I am a student and have worked an IT related internship, I have included my experience from 5 years ago. Maybe the technology is different, but the other skills are still relevant. I'm still good under pressure and a great communicator. My recommendation is if you can spin it to a positive, then use it. I'm not saying you should lie. I'm saying that you should use a positive from a past experience.
  • Options
    aluchenialucheni Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the best thing you could do is get/re-certify a CCNA. I was a junior NOC tech for ~3 years and have been out for about that long, to re-enter the workforce in 9 months (getting an economics degree in the meantime). I forgot most of what I knew and I'm much more comfortable since having prepared for the CCNA (composite scheduled for Oct. 20). Employer or not, it seems like a good idea just for your own skill-set.