Options

DSU, CC, Norwich

I have been accepted to Norwich, Capitol College, and am awaiting the response on DSU but I am pretty sure I will be accepted.

My desire is to learn as much as possible from a technical perspective with managerial knowledge second. Norwich is adding a technical track based on CM coursework. I would like to hear your experience. DSU seems the most technical with its penetration track.

Please advise.

I am not applying to any other school then those above.

-Phil

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What type of program are you applying for?
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    What type of program are you applying for?

I'm guessing MSISA from the three schools listed.

I've done research on all of those schools when I was deciding where to go for an MS in Security (I ended up getting accepted into WGU, Norwich and ISU). Out of those I believe Capitol College is the most technical based on classes and class descriptions. I am in arguably the most technical of all masters security programs, Iowa State's Master of Engineering in Information Assurance. The first class I'm taking is ridiculously technical and we are learning about security on the lowest level you can learn it. You can check out some of the stuff here: Index of /textbook/slides. Learning the innerworkings of protocols, packets, etc.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Yes, MSIA.

I thought about Iowa State but I didn't want to take my GRE.

Interesting on the CC being the most technical. Reviewing DSU it seemed to be more technically oriented in the course load then CC. However, I am basing this off course descriptions. If anyone has first hand experience with either I would appreciate the feedback.

-Phil
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Phil, I can't remember from your other posts if you have InfoSec experience or not but I didn't have to take the GRE as I submitted my résumé and had it waved from experience.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I'm guessing MSISA from the three schools listed.

I've done research on all of those schools when I was deciding where to go for an MS in Security (I ended up getting accepted into WGU, Norwich and ISU). Out of those I believe Capitol College is the most technical based on classes and class descriptions. I am in arguably the most technical of all masters security programs, Iowa State's Master of Engineering in Information Assurance. The first class I'm taking is ridiculously technical and we are learning about security on the lowest level you can learn it. You can check out some of the stuff here: Index of /textbook/slides. Learning the innerworkings of protocols, packets, etc.

This sounds like the place for me
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19, What do you pay per credit hour at ISU?
    2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I'd rank them this way:
    Dakota State
    Norwich University
    Capitol College

Here is why:

If you complete the MSc at Dakota State, you can continue on to their DSc program. Dakota State has one of the MOST AFFORDABLE Doctorate programs online for IA. Due to intense competition, if you're trying for the Dakota State DSc, you might want to go ahead and do their MSc to be more competitive. (They get so many apps [due to their lower cost] and they want to try to preserve opportunities for their own MSc students.)

Norwich University has good rep, but doesn't go beyond Masters.

Capitol College has low name recognition, and no athletic squad. (I can hear about it in military circles, but not much otherwise. Heck, some people in the DMV area haven't heard of it.)

This is just my unscientific ranking.

Hope this helps you make your decision.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Lewis,

Fancy seeing you here! Thanks for the heads up. I find the DSU program very attractive, although their paper based application process sucked.

-Phil
  • Options
    philz1982 wrote: »
    I thought about Iowa State but I didn't want to take my GRE.

Why wouldn't you take the GRE?

I'll tell you why I didn't:

I didn't take it because my Master's options were limited (didn't really learn the issue about National versus Regional accreditation until after it was too late). I make sure to advise anyone else I come across to watch out for that! This basically means that I'd need about 30 more credits to get an RA degree undergrad, just to get into a better MSc program (at this point in my career, more schooling may not help much, but I'd do it if an employer footed the bill).
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Lewis,

Fancy seeing you here! <snip>

Look:

Just because I put my name in my signature block, that gives you no reason to call me by that name in this forum!

:D

Hi Phil.

Yeah, I'm up past my bedtime.

TechExams is addictive sometimes.
  • Options
    Well at least you have a bed time. You could have been watching CISSP bootcamp videos for the past 10 hours .... (I take my CISSP next Tuesday)... Fun stuff...
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    I'm currently enrolled in the Graduate Certificate in Ethical Hacking program at DSU. They have changed their coursework a little which isn't reflected on the website right now. I'm enrolled in INFA 736 - Offensive Network Security which is a network penetration testing course. It is taught by Home who has spoken at Defcon and Blackhat and also has experience as a penetration tester in the real world. I'm only a few weeks into class but so far it is pretty technical, we have had one exercise on using Maltego for information gathering which was pretty cool.

I chose DSU because it is pretty affordable, classes seem very technical, at least 2 of the professors are involved in the inforsec community, and it is fully online.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/