Salary Report 2013

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey forum,

Hope I can post this here! Im sure its been posted before, and maybe its super old news. I found this just now and went through the whole thing. I found it very fascinating and thought I would share.

http://images.globalknowledge.com/wwwimages/pdfs/2013_salaryreport.pdf

Kai.

Comments

• RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Great info... Thanks!
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interesting. I noted no certifications on their chart promise to propel a senior-level engineer already in the top 20% any higher up the chart... although I noticed they didn't list the CCIE/JNCIE up there.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting. Thanks for share icon_thumright.gif
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Keep this in mind, when looking at those numbers:
    Average age: 42
    Average tenure: 14

This kind of seems common sense, but they had this point in there also:

Roles with salaries above the average include systems architects (+30 percent), project managers (+15 percent), IT managers (+17 percent), and consultants (+22 percent). Directors and above ranged from 37 percent to 71 percent above the average.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very nice, thanks for sharing.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sometimes, you really need to step back and realize that in IT, the salaries are ridiculously high, and it gives people who would have otherwise failed in the economy a chance to truly "start at the bottom" and "work through to the top" with an actual ladder to climb.

This is, truly, rare to find if you're graduating with a degree in most other fields. If it wasn't for a 2 year degree in Net. Admin and a general interest in helping people and fixing computers, I would have been struggling or in serious debt starting out at 20 to 30k a year this year with another 4 year degree. Maybe more depending on luck and major.

It's really neat to reflect on it.

~
    :twisted:
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    After reading this I hurt. For myself and for my co-workers. But I agree with darkerz in the fact that there is certainly something to shoot for, as many people have got there according to this survey.
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool pdf! I'm going to send this to my boss and demand a raise now icon_lol.gif
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Interesting. I noted no certifications on their chart promise to propel a senior-level engineer already in the top 20% any higher up the chart... although I noticed they didn't list the CCIE/JNCIE up there.

Maybe stop playing with packets and work toward a CIO/CTO position, that may move you up.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Maybe stop playing with packets and work toward a CIO/CTO position, that may move you up.

I dunno man.

I'd rather be a CCIE working with cutting edge technologies, staying relevant and being sharp minded than a CIO/CTO who's job borders on finances, capx/opex balancing, human and project oversight, etc.

Entirely subjective, based on personal opinion. I'm sure making multiple six-figures at one point is more important than happiness and cognitive engagement.
    :twisted:
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Idaho for being 2nd lowest in the nation for IT wages... FML also I need a raise lol.
  • apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I havent fully read the report yet but has anyone else notice the text doesnt seem to match the graphs?

On page 4 of the pdf (or 6 & 7 of the booklet) it says "16 percent earned $100,000 or more" but the graph shows 25% earned 100,000 or more...

They also mix their terms stating the "average salary... ...was $78,649" when in fact it should have been median salary.

It especially disconcerting when you consider they correctly use mean and median later in the report...

You can also easily see the "Windows IT Pro" influence on the report when a full half of their respondent's said Microsoft skills have positively impacted their salary and 42% said they've taken some sort of Microsoft training in the last 12 months...

Hopefully there aren't more errors, though considering I found these after a quick 2-3 minute breeze through, Im not going to hold my breath...
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP