Options

Windows 8.1?

Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
Anyone else got it up and running yet? I just showed up in DreamSpark so I'm going to give it a go and see if it works any better than 8 did. Hopefully my wife won't hate it as much as she did 8!
"If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
"Great things have small beginnings."

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I've been running it since the public Beta on 1 of my laptops. Need to get my other updated. I think it's great, but I never had any problems with 8, which I also ran since beta (I've run every Windows OS since Beta going all the way back to 95 so...)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    8.1 on my home laptop and Server 2012 R2 on my work laptop. I think it's pretty awesome. But like Everyone, I liked 8 and didn't have any issues with it. I like being able to snap more "metro" apps. I really like the options you have for organizing the start screen.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I noticed no changes of real value when I ran 8.1 vs 8.0. That said, I only ran it for a week cause my video card kept crashing with it.
  • Options
    PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    8.1 Is not bad when it comes to performance. Only issue I have is searching for something. Its a bit slow. :/
  • Options
    I hate the search in Windows 8. 8.1 is better, but it still does not return all of the results quickly. God forbit I search for a control panel option like I did in Windows 7... Instead I have to search then make an extra few clicks instead of just pressing enter. Search is the biggest issue I had with Windows 8.
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    I'm still getting things up to speed on my desktop. Things flow a little better, and the responsiveness from 8 still seems to be there. Just an adjustment period to get things back where I had them.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use 8.1 on my laptop, but I installed Start8 to restore the Windows Start Menu and to "disable" Metro. Without Start8, I wouldn't touch this OS.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Do yourself a favor and buy a multi-button mouse. It is how I got past the no start button thing. Just assigned one of the buttons to be the windows key. Not the same, but close.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I installed it on a couple machines already and so far so good. It seems faster than Windows 8 even on ancient laptops like we have (Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM), so it's a good sign.
    Still trying to make it work with MDT 2013 though...