Options

Got on IT course, scared and confused (some of the objectives)

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello.

I got accepted to do a year long online course at Dublin City University for a Certificate in Infomation Technology.

Module 1 is Computing (HTML and PHP and some fundamentals)
Module 2 is Communications Technology (the scary one)
Module 3 is Human Science (how people relate to and use software)

Module: Communications Technology 1

6. Define and explain the core concepts of magnetism, sketch the magnetic field patterns surrounding simple permanent magnets, and perform calculations involving magnetic flux and magnetic flux density. - This one I am having trouble finding any reference on the net too regarding networking or telecommunications. I wanted to get a head start and get materials for some of the objectives I literally know nothing about, but this one is vague. Would anyone know what this is about? Or is it literally just magnetism?

These are the modules: Qualification: CIT - Certificate in Information Technology

Kai.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Sounds like an introduction to Electromagnetic, or more of a data communications/physical layer stuff. I can see they mentioned the OSI model at the end of the course.

To be honest, I'm not sure if this cert is very useful in IT. Perhaps a CCNA will take you further IMHO.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    LAN_ManLAN_Man Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Sounds like an introduction to Electromagnetic, or more of a data communications/physical layer stuff. I can see they mentioned the OSI model at the end of the course.

To be honest, I'm not sure if this cert is very useful in IT. Perhaps a CCNA will take you further IMHO.

+1 to this.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi Kai,

It sounds like a simplified Physics introduction. In grade school Physics in the states, you might sketch the field a magnet products via experimentation. In college, you learn to use calculus to calculate it precisely.

You could start with:
    HowStuffWorks "How Magnets Work"

I will warn you. It doesn't sound like this coursework will provide you with experience, an industry-recognized certification, an accredited degree, or even particular practical knowledge. You will almost certainly end up behind someone who spends 3 months gaining relevant certifications and then works for 9 months.. short- and long-term.

(Unless things are very different in Dublin than in the states.)
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies!

Regarding this being relevant, it is very good to have on my CV. It will win over plenty of recruiters and HR people and will compliment my Comptia certs. In Ireland, Comptia is not considered a great cert. The CCNA definitely is. I can still study for the CCNA alongside this on my own.

I missed the chance to take a CCNA course. The next one is in February and is 7 months long (one day a week). There are 14 week long CCNA courses done by a separate government entity and they show up randomly. I could definitely try and get on it but welfare have to judge if doing all this interferes with my ability to gain employment.

I thought the second module would be a real in-depth look into the physics of what happens at layer 1. I always wanted to learn a language (didn't expect it to be PHP!) but im happy with that. What I gain the most from this becoming more employable. The goal is mostly cosmetic while seeing what opportunities I can gain from it in learning some things I never thought I would.

Just found out I can take another course so I can do 14 week CCNA early next year :)

Thanks again for the replies, and pointing me in the right direction regarding electromagnetism (such a cool word)!

Kai.