Options

Broadcast in Intervlan communication

ssuresh005ssuresh005 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,
New to this forum. Im preparing for my CCNA studies and i did attend couple of interviews and stuck with a question that "if there is a switch which has vlan 1 and vlan2 , By default there is 2 broadcast domain. and broadcast from one vlan cannot passed to another. But if we connect a Router to the switch and configure intervlan , now we can ping from Vlan 1 to vlan 2 . In this scenario Can the broadcasts from Vlan1 passed to Vlan2 ? "

If its possible then whats the whole idea of separating vlans and creating multiple broadcast domains?

Please help me understand.

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    No, VLANS separate broadcast domains at L2 using VLAN tags. Intervlan routing uses a L3 protocol like IP to route between VLAN's.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Thanks Dieg0M,
    So, Even if the router is configured for intervlan communication. Broadcast messages are not sent to other vlans. Am i right.?
  • Options
    kacperkacper Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ssuresh005 wrote: »
    Thanks Dieg0M,
    So, Even if the router is configured for intervlan communication. Broadcast messages are not sent to other vlans. Am i right.?

Correct, broadcasts do not travel between vlans or subnets.
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying friends..
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Remember that is why every network has a network address and a broadcast address and stays within that network.
  • Options
    ali7862110ali7862110 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Greeting to all of you

Hope every one is fine

I have some queries regarding VLAN

I have a firewall,I have a switch and access point which is connected to switch port below mentioned

port1 firewall
    port2 AP
    port3 AP
    port4 AP
    I had created 2 vlan with ip one is voice vlan and another one is Data vlan ,every port in the switch has 2 assigned vlan 1 &2 so should I have to create trunk port for port1
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also don't forget that a ping is a unicast ICMP so it going from VLAN1 to VLAN2 via. InterVLAN routing is by no means an indication that broadcasts are leaking between the VLANs.