Options

How much do you think Desktop administrators make

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
in NYC working in the financial industry (hedge funds)? I have seen mixed numbers thrown around.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Numbers can certainly be different depending on where you live, but the bottom line though is that Desktop Admins are on the lower-end of the professional ladder. Meaning that there are a lot more people available to fill these positions that have the knowledge to do so. The higher you go up the ladder, the more specialized and less people that can do the job, the more you will be able to earn.

I wouldn't expect a Desktop Admin to earn more than 45,000.00 max (and that's being generous), as I would consider this to be on par with help-desk/entry-level.

Again just IMHO.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Reported salaries for desktop support in NYC range from $25,000 to $60,000 per year, with $40,000 being the median. See Payscale.com. I don't know precisely in that range where hedge funds fit. You can drill-down on that site if you like.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is he talking about desktop support or a desktop administrator/manager? I know my situation is a little different then most but we have people making $80k as Sr. Computer Techs but we are a public school and they've been here near 25 yrs. We start at $31k.
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    For a hedge fund in NYC? 60+ at least. Desktop support makes from 40-60k
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    When you say Desktop Administrator I immediately think SCCM or VDI. If that's what we're talking about, then it would be on par with other System Administrator jobs in the area.

If we're talking Desktop Support (as in fixing PCs and sitting at an end user's desk) then I agree with the comments above.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    210mike210mike Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    When you say Desktop Administrator I immediately think SCCM or VDI. If that's what we're talking about, then it would be on par with other System Administrator jobs in the area.

If we're talking Desktop Support (as in fixing PCs and sitting at an end user's desk) then I agree with the comments above.

Agreed. A skilled Desktop Engineer/Administrator for a large company is very valuable and should be making SysAdmin/Sr. SysAdmin pay. A desktop admin doing break/fix ticketing work would be in the 40 to 60 range.
    WGU BS: IT Network and Design Management (Completed Oct 2014)
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    The job title is Desktop administrator or Desktop engineer. Responsibilities: Creating and managing users in AD, exchange and Citrix. Troubleshoot desktop related issues including e-mail, software, mobile phones, etc ... Troubleshoot Bloomberg, Reuters, Thomas one and Pivot. Manage backups and servers. Handle alerts and escalate when appropriate. Deploy network printers and share drives.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sizeon wrote: »
    The job title is Desktop administrator or Desktop engineer. Responsibilities: Creating and managing users in AD, exchange and Citrix. Troubleshoot desktop related issues including e-mail, software, mobile phones, etc ... Troubleshoot Bloomberg, Reuters, Thomas one and Pivot. Manage backups and servers. Handle alerts and escalate when appropriate. Deploy network printers and share drives.
    Sounds like Desktop Support to me.
    So the standard 40-60k is what Id expect.
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where I work, the Helpdesk starts at $69,000 and the person who has been here the least amount of years (almost 6) is making $84,000 a year...
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My company starts at around $24/h depending on experience. I think it also really depends on location. Making 50k in Kentucky is way different than 50k in New York.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Options
    lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    Where I work, the Helpdesk starts at $69,000 and the person who has been here the least amount of years (almost 6) is making $84,000 a year...

69K STARTING at help desk?!?!?!?!?!?! I may be out of the loop, but I have NEVER heard of that, nor do I see how that's even possible. I can see a sys admin/engineer making that when help desk responsibilities are shared... but straight up help desk?!?!?! I need to look into this one....
  • Options
    210mike210mike Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    69K in New York City is like making 30K to 35K in a normal cost of living area. Housing costs in NYC are insane.
    WGU BS: IT Network and Design Management (Completed Oct 2014)
  • Options
    69K STARTING at help desk?!?!?!?!?!?! I may be out of the loop, but I have NEVER heard of that, nor do I see how that's even possible. I can see a sys admin/engineer making that when help desk responsibilities are shared... but straight up help desk?!?!?! I need to look into this one....

It's a HelpDesk supporting the employees of a NYC government agency.... but yea, they do a combination of remote and local support and by law the position starts at minimum $69,000
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's a HelpDesk supporting the employees of a NYC government agency.... but yea, they do a combination of remote and local support and by law the position starts at minimum $69,000

Sounds a lot like my previous job as a Help Desk support tech, only about 30K less, and not as close to our Nation's capitol.. Interesting though..
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Sounds you should move to NYC Lawrence. Lol
  • Options
    210mike wrote: »
    69K in New York City is like making 30K to 35K in a normal cost of living area. Housing costs in NYC are insane.

I always say those kind of statements are exaggerated because people treat it like the money you make in NYC is somehow worth less, as if we were doing a foreign exchange of money. I think the best way to see the difference, is comparing expenses
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□

i'm sure its not an entry level position either....you got to fill certain requirments....Bach & like 4 years experience, or Master's & 3 years....them DoITT positions pay fairly well....i just dont want to work for the city....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    I always say those kind of statements are exaggerated because people treat it like the money you make in NYC is somehow worth less, as if we were doing a foreign exchange of money. I think the best way to see the difference, is comparing expenses

word....it all depends on where you live, and what your rent is, plus what other financial obligations you have. mofos stay making blind generalized statements about living/working in NYC, and they tend to be wrong most of the time...
    Link Me
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    i'm sure its not an entry level position either....you got to fill certain requirments....Bach & like 4 years experience, or Master's & 3 years....them DoITT positions pay fairly well....i just dont want to work for the city....

It's certainly not entry level but the requirement is only 2 years with a Bachelors or 6 without one.
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    word....it all depends on where you live, and what your rent is, plus what other financial obligations you have. mofos stay making blind generalized statements about living/working in NYC, and they tend to be wrong most of the time...

This for sure. One example I can use is when it comes to transportation costs... I spend maybe $1500 a year period on all of my transportation expenses (unlimited Metrocard), and this involves commuting to and from work AND every single time I go out for personal reasons. One of the many benefits of living and working in NYC is not having the need to own a car which means huge savings on that end.
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    This for sure. One example I can use is when it comes to transportation costs... I spend maybe $1500 a year period on all of my transportation expenses (unlimited Metrocard), and this involves commuting to and from work AND every single time I go out for personal reasons. One of the many benefits of living and working in NYC is not having the need to own a car which means huge savings on that end.

true...i mean, i have a car, but really only use it friday evening, saturday & sunday...i very rarely use it during the week, and that might be to go to my barber on thursday after work. I have to deal with alternate side parking M-Th depending on what street & what side i'm parked on.
    Link Me
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    i have a possible gig that may be paying 48k for a desktop analyst position (federal contract) with benefits

this is sacramento (norcal), cali