Options

What certifications? Director Level

crazyITguycrazyITguy Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I was promoted from IT manager to Director of IT at the software company where I work. I will be managing support, QA, development, training etc which is super exiting. I am not sure what certs to try and obtain. I am thinking about the PMP which I just need to pay for and schedule, but I am also thinking about the ITIL.

A little background.

Degree in CS
8 years of formal experience
Currently managing a team of 14 people

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    At the director and above level certifications are pretty useless. At that point you are pretty far outside of the technical realm unless you work for an extremely small company.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Echoing what Networker said, certifications aren't going to help your career much at the director level.

Aside from that, there are plenty of other reasons to get certifications. ITIL may make you more efficient in some aspects of running your IT department (I don't mean foundation). PMP or RMP may do the same. I don't really know, I don't have those certifications. You may want to take a more financial management certification route, too.

If you're doing it for fun, go get a cert on something you're interested in (Security, Virtualization, etc).

They won't make you LESS marketable, they just aren't going to really help anything.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITIL and PMP maybe
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    From my observations, the Director level (at big companies anyway) is when fancy graduate degrees can start to pay dividends in terms of standing out from the competition.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on your promotion and new role!

I don’t necessarily agree that certifications are useless. At a director or higher positions, certifications simply play a very different role in career development. I am curious why you are seeking to attain certifications? Is it primarily for self-enlightenment and broadening your horizons?

Based on your brief description – 2 others to consider which may be interesting to you would be the HDI track http://www.thinkhdi.com/certification.aspx and ASTD track Tools for CPLP Candidates. While neither certification are geared at managers, you may find the learning opportunity valuable.

If your employer is in a specific industry that processes personal data (ie Financial or Healthcare) – you could consider some broad certifications in security (ISC2 CISSP), risk (ISACA CISM or CRISC), and privacy (IAPP CIPP) as well.
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! Im an IT Manager and pursuing depth technical certifications is kinda worthless like others have said. But you can go and have a foundation on several hot topics such as virtualization and cloud computing. For example I decided to pursue the VMWare VCA-DVC which is free for now, and the CompTIA Cloud Essentials to keep updated and know at least the basis.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Solid understanding of financials.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Coincidence that you mentioned it. I came across this recently - http:/www.itfma.com I don't know much about the organization but I thought it was an interesting organization.

@gabypr - I wouldn't call in-depth certifications useless. I think it largely is a matter of personal interest in the subject matter. It may not help in day-to-day activities. But it can provide useful empathy to the skill involved in a particular technology area.
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Definitely ITIL and PMP. my director has gotten those recently and I see a positive trend in the way things are run.
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    SpacedSpaced Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    From my observations, the Director level (at big companies anyway) is when fancy graduate degrees can start to pay dividends in terms of standing out from the competition.

+1 Either with a technical focus or business/management.
    WGU: BSIT - Network Administration
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I spoke to a director in the company that I work for and asked him for advice on how to prepare myself for consideration when manager and above positions open up. He mentioned ITIL, PMP, and more traditional process improvement certs (Lean/Six Sigma) are important. An MBA was useful but not strictly necessary. It just depends on where you see your career going. Remember, you are a director already and the answers I received were for how to prepare to become one. Thus, his answers to me might not be applicable to you but should give a picture as to what training would be good, foundationally, for a manager/director-type.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    crazyITguycrazyITguy Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Really my reason it to be better at what i do. I have managed a support department for the better half of my career, but with development it is different. My degree was in dev, but I never practiced it and this is the department with the biggest need of change/process improvement. I really want to thank everyone here for the input. It is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You've identified the problem space (improved processes).

Your solution space should be something like:
    Working to ITIL-Intermediate in the Service Lifecycle stream, or CSI at a minimum.

To me, that sounds like the biggest impact. This would also, however, require you to attend (an) accredited class(es).
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Brown-nosing Certified Expert
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    lamha88lamha88 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Brown-nosing Certified Expert

Still working on my CAKE (corporate ass kissing expert) certification. I'll look forward to the bnce afterwards icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    You established what you needed in your original post, when you mentioned the PMP and ITIL.

You established that you wanted to improve processes, which is what ITIL is supposed to be for. PMP might help also.

When I clicked on this thread, I thought it was about someone wanting to move up to director, but you are already there.

What I usually do when curious about the qualifications for a particular position, is that I look at the type of problems that role is facing, and/or the type of work that is most commonly done. If I do not have first-hand knowledge of what that is like within my own organization, I can sometimes get a hint by looking over several job descriptions for the position. Another thing you can do is look at the profiles of people in that role on sites like linkedin or indeed. Also, you can read up at sites like cio.com, where IT directors might get some of their daily tech news.

Here is a search that might give you a few ideas:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22IT+director%22+jobs+site%3Aindeed.com

I looked at several positions. They mention service delivery, budgeting, motivating teams, and whatever technicals are specific to their organization.

When I search for IT director versus linkedin.com, and look at the profiles that come up, a few will have PMP or MBA. Many will have neither.

The common trend throughout all results? They wanted experience. You appear to have this one already.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    crazyITguy wrote: »
    So I was promoted from IT manager to Director of IT at the software company where I work. I will be managing support, QA, development, training etc which is super exiting. I am not sure what certs to try and obtain. I am thinking about the PMP which I just need to pay for and schedule, but I am also thinking about the ITIL.

A little background.

Degree in CS
    8 years of formal experience
    Currently managing a team of 14 people

I would also recommend a graduate degree, either MBA or MSIT.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    One way to improve your department is to first ask your team what they think needs to be improved. I know if my director were to ask he would get an extremely long list from me, and although I have told him I was more than willing to tell him what is wrong he never responded by phone or email. I also suggest PMP and ITIL, but I feel like knowing what is actually going on is more important. So drop in on some calls listen in and find out for your self. It was very obvious for our VPs and directors when they started listening in on our change window calls why we kept breaking our change windows and causing sev1 calls after weekend window. Hey, what do I know though I just work in Operations for a fortune15 company that seems help bent on keeping their poor performance.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    crazyITguy wrote: »
    I will be managing support, QA, development, training etc which is super exiting.

There are some Software Testing and QA certs out there, I'm going to look into them:

Software Certifications ~ Certified Associate in Software Testing (CAST)

Certifying Software Testers Worldwide - ISTQB® International Software Testing Qualifications Board
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    If you're in the UK there are various Chartered statuses that you can choose from:

Chartered IT Professional
    Chartered Director

etc, etc, etc...

Is there not something like this in the US?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ITIL, Project Management, and any training you can find on communication skills.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think your best bet would be a MBA from a solid University (Top 25) then 50 etc
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    MBA would be helpful at cementing your ability to pursue director and above positions at other companies. As for certs, ITIL, PMP, Six Sigma, and for security, CISSP, CISM.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework