Options

to start my CCNP journey?

ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

as some of you might know, I passed my CCNA exam in April this year.
I'm not working in networking yet, but it is my goal. I initially didn't want to go for the CCNP because I somewhat don't see the point of being a CCNP but having zero actual experience working in a networking team. I think it would feel awkward.

Anways, I am now considering to take the step and go for the CCNP even without practical network experience (I'm Systems Admin). Reason being is I already start to forget what I've learned just because I don't do it on a daily basis. Never, to be exact (unless I lab at home).

What do you think? Should I go for the CCNP or wait until I get a job in networking? Maybe I'm a bit afraid that should I be a CCNP and get hired, everyone would expect me to be able to do the same or even more as a CCNA can do but who has been working in the field for a long time. Does this make sense?

Thanks!
Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )

Comments

• Options
    MikeO5422MikeO5422 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say that you should go for it. A certification can really never hurt. I understand the worry about high expectations...but I think a lot of people understand that a certification without experience does not guarantee an expert. Certifications mean a lot of different things to people. If you enjoy the material and want to learn then go for it!
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I finished my CCNA while I was working in a desktop support position. Right after I passed it I started looking for an entry level networking job, at the same time I also started studying for my CCNP. During my interviews I made it known that I was continuing on with my studies and most were impressed.

So yes, I would go for CCNP if I were you.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I'm not working in networking yet, but it is my goal. I initially didn't want to go for the CCNP because I somewhat don't see the point of being a CCNP but having zero actual experience working in a networking team. I think it would feel awkward.

The CCNP is mainly about "what" and "how", and not so much "why". Anyone who has actually studied for the exam would know this and not have unreasonable expectations of someone just because they have earned this certification. But, someone who only knows that it's some advanced networking certification would perhaps think that you could do a lot of things that you wouldn't be able to.
    Anways, I am now considering to take the step and go for the CCNP even without practical network experience (I'm Systems Admin). Reason being is I already start to forget what I've learned just because I don't do it on a daily basis. Never, to be exact (unless I lab at home).

That is a good reason to study, and CCNP is basically just a more advanced CCNA. You learn some new concepts, some new protocols, and go deeper into things you already know from CCNA like EIGRP, OSPF, STP, etc.
    What do you think? Should I go for the CCNP or wait until I get a job in networking?

There's no reason to be this black and white in your thinking. Do both. Try to find a job, but study as well. If nothing else, you'll do better in a job interview because you have refreshed many of the CCNA topics + gained new knowledge. I know I would do really well on "CCNA level routing" after a month of reviewing CCNP Route material.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I wouldn't go for CCNP yet. I would get a job in networking first or you'll forget most of what you've learned. Also, how do you even know you like working in the networking world if you have zero experience? I think you should be investing your time in a certificate that will give you an edge in your current work.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I would go for it. If you think you might be interested in getting a networking job it will only help. And if you later decide networking is not for you, so be it. You'll probably go back to system administration if networking isn't something you enjoy and I'm willing to bet having a CCNP won't hurt in that process (obviously wont provide as much bang for your buck as sysadmin certs when applying for these roles). I think the key will be to have realistic expectations. If you obtain the CCNP with no experience, don't create a thread asking why companies aren't hiring you for network architect roles.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A cert doesn't reflect experience, it reflects knowledge. I think an employer would prefer to hire a no-experience CCNP than a no-experience CCNA in a choice between the two.
  • Options
    ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all the great input.
    I probably will start my CCNP journey within the next couple of days.

Regarding expectations....all I want is to get an entry job to get my foot in to the field. I wouldn't even accept an architect position if I'd get it.

@Dieg0M
    Before I started studying for the CCNA, I looked in to many different areas of IT (including Sys Admin specializations). And networking was the only topic that really grabbed me and which didn't become boring for me after a few weeks.
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really like this thread, i was also in limbo as to if i wanted to continue studying to get a ccnp before i got some networking experience but i have been reading and really am interested in going further with my studies.

I am also interested in the security side of networking
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I disagree with those who say to go for it without actual experience. Someone stated that a certification doesn't = experience. This is true, it does not equal experience. HOWEVER, it does come with expectations. A CCNA without experience gives your employer the expectation that you know networking and are willing to learn. If you get a CCNP with no experience they're going to be expecting a lot more out of you that you just won't have any foundational experience on.

Certifications come with expectations. And the CCNP certification's expectations include existing networking experience. Get an entry level network position and THEN go for your CCNP.
  • Options
    I would agree with you that OP shouldn't do it if he had no IT experience at all. But since he currently holds a system administrator position, I think it's fine. I don't understand why you're making the generalization that hiring manangers expect a CCNP to have experience. The hiring manager may look at the resume and be a bit suprised, but if one doesn't list networking experience on their resume, they doesn't have any.
  • Options
    Hey krjay, thanks for the response. The reason why I said what I did was because I've gone through the CCNP material, taken the tests, put it on my resume and know what it entails. There's a lot of detailed information that won't make sense if you don't have any experience to tie it into. Going to the CCNP with only theoretical information is not something I would recommend.

While it's completely possible (there's a lot of people who do it), my experience with the CCNP is why I stated what I did. The generalization I stated was from what I have experienced with my CCNP. People see a CCNP and expect a "Certified Network Professional". Being a professional means you are paid to do something. So that means a network professional is someone who has already been paid to administer networks.

There are differing opinions on this, I understand. I just want people to go into these things with their eyes wide open. More certs is not always better.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I totally agree with f0rgiv3n on this one. He can go for CCNP if he wishes but from an efficiency point of view he would be better off investing his time in something he knows he will be using until he gets an entry level network position.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Would you say its ok to study and learn the material to have more knowledge on EIGRP,OSP etc, i am really interested in learning more about routing and switching.
    Then after some experience go ahead and look to doing the exams

Thanks for responses in advance

Not hijacking your thread ch1vas :)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Agreed with f0rgiv3n.

A CCNP is not an entry-level exam, it's intermediate. Certifications don't equal experience but they sure do compliment it. If you're not at a point in your career where you even have experience touching these devices or dealing with a production network, you're a paper cert and that's it. There have been plenty of hiring managers on this forum in other threads like this who have said point blank that they would hold a CCNP with zero experience against a candidate or they would drill them EVEN harder during the technical interview because if they walk in with those credentials without experience, they should perform like a prodigy or they assume they're a dumper. Plus without production networking experience and just taking tests, you're going to see a lot of knowledge fade.

@dsgm - Always good to read ahead and seek out new knowledge. I'm more of talking about chasing down certs.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'm surprised at a lot of the negative vibes on this thread about going for the CCNP. If you're fresh out of the CCNA and have the knowledge from it fresh in your head, why would you NOT go for it?

When I got a Network Ops Tech job years back when I first got my CCNA, I used almost nothing from the NA studies as you don't get a lot of hands on experience in most entry level roles, but the only reason I got that job is because of the certificate. No prior IT experience at all before I got that job.

My only suggestion would be not to **** the material, or use GNS3 to scrape by the labs enough to pass the exams. I'd invest in real hardware, and decent hardware that you can go on to different specializations with like voice or security.

I just really cannot understand why people would suggest not doing it on here at all, unless OP specifically said he was planning on taking **** to certify.
  • Options
    I dont really understand the negativity either. He has an interest in networking and wants to find a networking job. What does one do if you have a CCNA in that position? Sit idly by waiting for the job to come along, then work at that job for a year and finally you're allowed to study for the CCNP? Study for a cert that helps him at his current job (a job he doesn't want to be at anymore)? I see a lot of shooting down the CCNP but not a whole lot of alternative options.
  • Options
    I hope some notice that those who are giving advice to wait on the CCNP are those who have it. There's nothing negative here. It's just that we're giving advice based on experience.

Nothing was ever said either about having idle hands either. It's awesome and you SHOULD continue learning. I think that the reasons have been explained already though.
  • Options
    There you have it, the CCNPs just want to protect the prestige of their cert and do not want someone with no experience to obtain it.

Just kidding.. The 2 people with CCNP that replied here probably know more than I do. Anyway good luck with your studies ch1vas.
  • Options
    mziwanda2mziwanda2 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Go for it mate, they can never be a disadvantage in getting more knowledge if u know exactly which type of job to apply

---GREED IS BUT A WORD JEALOUS MEN INFLICT APON THE AMBITIOUS---
  • Options
    steveyeungsteveyeung Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    this is a bold statement!
  • Options
    mitch179mitch179 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you should go for it, I got a lot of mixed opinions like this when I asked basically the same question, I can understand the angle that people who suggest you shouldn't do it are taking. My situation is slightly different in that I have previous experience in networking but I'm currently silo'd into server administration and my plan is to break back into networking.

At the end of the day do what YOU want to do, if YOU think you want the CCNP and it will benefit you then just do it, that's what I did. After passing ROUTE just recently that just made me even more excited about getting the cert, I was worried I'd be burnt out!
  • Options
    mitchflossinmitchflossin Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If networking is your true desire, then absolutely go for it. Assuming you have a CCNP, but no real world networking experience, I would expect you to be able to hang with a CCNA level admin. I think that's a pretty fair expectation. I don't think you'll be able to find a "CCNP level" position with a CCNP cert and no practical experience, but I think you should be able to find an entry level networking job. Having those certs shows passion, dedication and eagerness to better yourself. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    macattackermacattacker Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Of course, in the ideal world it is better to get higher level certs after work experience, BUT, in many cases people cannot find work or other factors come into play.
    In this case, ABSOLUTELY, go for CCNP. It stimulates your mind, builds on previous knowledge, is fun and keeps everything fresh in your mind.
    How on earth, could expending your knowledge not be a good thing. Are you kidding me ? I am amazed at some of the above negative comments.

To those guys, who imply employers would possibly look negatively on CCNP applicants without work experience, this is complete rubbish.
    As an employer myself, I would look MOST favourably on a candidate who had CCNP without work experience. Employers are not stupid. Of course they can see that a paper CCNP is not the same as an experience CCNP. But it still counts for a lot.

Say you have two candidates for a junior network tech without experience; one has CCNA, one has CCNP. Hands down you go for the CCNP guy. Not only does it show he has more knowledge, but also has the drive and commitment to have gone that far which is tremendous.

ps. also remember once you start working, think about going home after a hard days work, feeling drained, and then have to put in 2-3 hours of study plus sacrifice most of your weekend. It is much easier to get your cert before you start working full time.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    ch1vas:

I am curious on your job search issues, and if you have a thread in the jobs/degrees forum.

As you're a Systems Administrator now, have you volunteered to perform more networking duties at your current job? This might be a good angle to work, as they should be familiar with your work ethic.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)