Options

RHCSA worth it?

SneakySSneakyS Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm in my mid 30's and am thinking about switching in to the Linux world. I used to be (still am) just the regular Windows System Administrator who loves his morning coffee.

My question is, is it worth it? I mean, what are the chances of landing a Linux job that isn't paid the minimum wage(I'm over exaggerating here)? I really enjoy Linux (still a beginner but I picked it up a few weeks ago and really like it).

Also, would you recommend to do the LPIc-1 + 2 first?

I have more questions, but they're more general. These two are the ones bothering me the most.

Thank you,

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The RHCSA is definitely nothing to sneeze at, it teaches you a great deal about Linux - the Red Hat skills you'll learn do carry forward to other distros - and puts you at the halfway-point to the RHCE. If it's worth it really depends on one crucial factor: are you going to push forward to the RHCE? In the world of Linux-related work, there isn't as much recognition of certs as there are in other fields like Windows administration or network engineering. The RHCE, however, pops up all over the place and is very well-respected.

As for your starting point, I'd recommend the Linux+ certification from CompTIA, which also earns you the LPIC-1 certification. When you sign up for the Linux+ exams, they'll ask for your LPI number, so make sure you sign up on the LPI site before sitting for the tests. From there, you'd definitely be ready to tackle the RHCSA path.

Since you already have some experience as a sysadmin, it shouldn't be too hard to land a decent job working with Linux-technologies if you're willing to jump through the hoops and learn a whole lot of new things. Linux admins tend to get paid a little better than their Windows-based counterparts in most parts of the world, but that's by no means a guarantee of seeing an increase just because you made the switch. You might, however, see a good bump in your paygrade by virtue of the fact that you'll be familiar with both Windows AND Linux, so don't neglect those Microsoft certs.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Hi Slowhand!

I do have one more question regarding the LPIC-1... I also posted the question in another forum, so don't be mad if you happen to find the same post :).
    Does the RHCSA certification path already require some fundamental Linux knowledge? If not and topics from the LPIC-1 would be included within the RHCSA cert path, I would consider going straight for the RH cert.

Thanks again,

***EDIT***
    I'm just gonna listen to my belly and go for the LPIC-1 first. It can't hurt. And considering I'm new to Linux I think it's the way to go.
    Now I only need to find out which Linux dist I want to use :).
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    for LPIC-1 use Debian & CentOS.
    that's what I used anyway.
    LPI covers both .deb and .rpm, where RHCSA/RHCE is .rpm only
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Disclaimer: Im new to IT and should be considered an "outsider" in terms of experience.

In my search for job in my area I have routinely seen Linux/RHCSA type jobs and there pay is almost always at a premium level when compared to other jobs requiring similar skills. The last one I seen was asking for 3+ years of linux admin exp, a BS and started at $80K. That was in a more rural area as well, near Sagniaw MI.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, you definitely need a bit of experience with Linux before tackling the RHCSA/RHCE path. Red Hat assumes 1 - 2 years of day-to-day tinkering and work, but a focused process like earning your LPIC-1/Linux+ would cut that down and give you the knowledge you need.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes the RHCSA is worth it. Since you have no real Linux experience you should start at the Linux+ with it you get the LPIC-1 then go do the RHCSA. The last person I knew who got their went on and got a great job. But he also had 16 years experience also. But without it they wouldn't of hired him.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    RHCSA definitely worth it, it proves that you have certain Linux skills. I see some jobs that requires both Windows and Linux skills, or more Windows and some Linux skills so that's a great way to get your foot in the door.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Something to remember:

Passing the linux+ gets you the LPIC-1 and the Novel suse Certified Linux Administrator certification as well. Three certs for the price of one:

http://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications/partnership-programs/suse
    Home*»*Linux Certifications*»*Partnership Programs

*»*SUSE Certification Partnership

SUSE Certification Partnership

LPI is pleased to announce that holders of LPIC certifications are now eligible to apply for and receive the SUSE Certified Linux Administrator (CLA) certification at no additional cost or exams.

This initiative is the result of a new partnership agreement between SUSE and LPI. Under this program those Linux professionals who have earned their LPIC-1 status will also have satisfied the requirements for the SUSE Certified Linux Administrator (CLA) certification. To further support this initiative SUSE Training Services has formally agreed to include the required LPIC-1 learning objectives in its CLA course training material.

To apply for your SUSE CLA, please*fill out the required form at Novell. You will need to provide your LPI ID, verification code, name and contact information.

All LPI alumni are able to validate their LPIC status by providing their LPI ID and*verification code.

Please refer back to this page for further information on the availability of SUSE training programs which are based on LPIC-1 objectives for self study, on demand, and partner-led classroom training.

LPI alumni will know that LPI has worked with SUSE for a number of years on exam development and that SUSE provided an initial industryendorsement of our LPIC-3 program.

This new partnership with SUSE further demonstrates that LPIC-1 is the industry standard in Linux certification and confirms LPI's longstanding position that LPI certification qualifies IT professionals to work on any Linux distribution.

* This program initiative with SUSE and their CLA certification is not available to LPI candidates in Japan

Linux Certifications OverviewIntroductory ProgramsLinux EssentialsProfessional CertificationsLPIC-1LPIC-2LPIC-3Partnership ProgramsSUSE PartnershipCompTIA PartnershipTaking ExamsCertification StructureDevelopmentJob Task AnalysisObjective DevelopmentItem DevelopmentExam CreationGlossary of TermsFAQSingle Vendor TestingCertification PoliciesDisciplinary ProcedureITCC TechCertRegistryVerify CertificationRegister

HOMELINUX CERTIFICATIONSEXAM PREPARATIONAFFILIATESPARTNERSHIPSBLOGWEBINARS

REGISTERLOGIN

LIKE US ON FACEBOOKFOLLOW US ON TWITTERSTOREMARKETPLACEABOUTCONTACT

SEARCH
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    Thank you all for the great help. I have just signed up at cbt nuggets as i liked their CCNA videos.
    I will go for the Linux+ if that gives me three certs for one, who wouldn't :).

No I only need a few good books. Maybe 2 to start with. I'm looking to get one based on the certification and one that covers a wider range of Linux. I heard the Linux Bible is a decent book?
  • Options
    BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    The two books I am using to supplement my linux+ study is

Linux bible by negus
    The Linux command line by shotts

Both are best sellers with high ratings and fairly recent release dates. They have exercises that make it easy to use as a hands on reference. I highly recommend both even though they don't directly map to the objectives.

I just wish I got kindle versions as it's hard with the hard copy to have it open and follow along.
  • Options
    Bryzey wrote: »
    The two books I am using to supplement my linux+ study is

Linux bible by negus
    The Linux command line by shotts

Both are best sellers with high ratings and fairly recent release dates. They have exercises that make it easy to use as a hands on reference. I highly recommend both even though they don't directly map to the objectives.

I just wish I got kindle versions as it's hard with the hard copy to have it open and follow along.

I have purchased both of them as Kindle version.
    But I'm also thinking of buying an actual certification guide...just not sure which one.
  • Options
    BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I have not purchased a book that maps to the objectives yet as I'm still halfway through the Linux bible so take this with a grain of salt.

Roderick Smith book is released this year so it is completely up to date so I'll probably go with that one and read command line introduction > bible > Roderick Smith book in that order.

Alternatively you have Robert Tracy book and Jason Eckert book which are older but still have good reviews and would get the job done. You might need to look up information that is not included in those books that have been added to the exam since they got released for example grub 2 and no lilo, lvm, upstart, systemd etc.. But still that's no big deal. Read a sample of each and decide which writing style you prefer.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Getting my RCHSA & RHCE have been the single best certifications I have picked up in my career. I've gotten I don't know how many unsolicited contacts from recruiters since I put them both up on my profile, including Red Hat themselves.

I've entertained the thought of going for LPIC, but honestly, I just can't get motivated to study for another cert right now.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi