Options

How can I get GNS3 to work with my network? Using Windows 8 and MS Loopback adapter..

pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have installed the MS KM Loopback adapter. I have it bridged with my wireless connection. I go into GNS3 and create the cloud and have it use the Loopback interface. Now, from searches it seems I have to assign my loopback interface an IP. However, I don't have that option in the Network center in Win8. When I go to Properties of the loopback int, I just have an option to 'Configure'. When I go to properties of the Network Bridge, I can change the IP there, however, it changes it for my wireless adapter too. Which means I obviously go off line and have no internet connection. Been doing searches but nothing clear on how to get this working.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    You won't be able to assign an IP if you've bridged your loopback with another adapter. The loopback adapter allows you to communicate your GNS3 environment with the PC/Laptop only, if you want your GNS3 environment to communicate with the rest of your network, you'll need to have another NIC on that laptop which you map to the GNS3 cloud.

In your case, it sounds like you are using wireless as Windows' connection to the network/Internet, so you should probably have a wired NIC still which you can map to GNS3 to allow whatever topology you are building to connect with the cloud mapped to the wired NIC.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey big, thanks for the response. After some more digging around, I attempted to use ICS for a fix. I can now ping my loopback and the virtual router from my laptop, but not able to ping from my GNS3 router out... if that makes sense. I was really hoping to be able to do this from my laptop wirelessly.