Options

Odom's network simulator

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
Odom will release a new version nework simulator for new CCNA. Is anybody recommending it? I have not ever used any Odom's books. Should I buy a book to learn using the network simulator?

Comments

• Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I own and used the SIM which was for the previous CCNA exam that just expired. It will teach you everything you need to know to pass the exam, it is very structured and has tons of built-in labs. This SIM will not allow you to explore for that you will have to use either the free Packet Tracer or the $300 Boson Sim. The SIM closely follows Odom's books. At this time the only way to get your hands on the SIM for the new exam is to buy Odom's Hardback CCNA library for both ICND1 and ICND2 and it comes with the Lite Version of the SIM. The Full version is scheduled to be released at the end of November 2013.

I own both the Todd Lammle and Wendell Odom books, I personally prefer Odom's books as he gets straight to the point and explains things in crazy amount of detail. Lammle's books have tendency to more conversational, this got on my nerves as i had to read a half a page before he got to the meat of the issue and then he mentions some technology and says it's important but then explains that he won't get to it until 15-20 chapters down the road GRRR!, he does this a lot. Pretty much it comes down to this if you prefer a novel book type of experience you will like Lammle, if you like to get straight to the point and time is of the essence I would go with Odom. With enough labbing you will pass the CCNA with both.
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Odom's Lite sim came with just the 100-101 book as well, I didn't have to buy both.
  • Options
    johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Thanks for your detail, Hammer. I will preorder the sim which is to be published in Nov. Is light version sim sold anywhere separately? Just can't wait that long to play sim.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Does the lite verson offered with the book cover what's needed for the exams? Or do we have to purchase the full version?
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No it has about 13 labs, so I'd say it's a little short on covering everything.
  • Options
    dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    This SIM will not allow you to explore for that you will have to use either the free Packet Tracer or the $300 Boson Sim.

I bought the full version of the Odom Lite sim and was a bit disappointed in that there was no real "free play". I love the tons of labs/scenarios but wanted a sand-box sim too. So the Bosom sim is more of a sand-box? $300? Ouch... I could buy a lot of real equipment for that kinda money. How full-featured are the IOSs in the bosom sim?