Options

Your backup solution for switches and routers

SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
Anyone care to share their backup process they use for their router and switches? Application, recurrence, coverage, etc?

Comments

• Options
    LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    Kiwicat quick easy and free
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Look into Rancid. Widely used in the industry for small and large deployments.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks gents.

What is your recurrence?
    Do you do it automatically?
    How offten?

etc
  • Options
    Thanks gents.

What is your recurrence?
    Do you do it automatically?
    How offten?

etc

Snapshots taken daily or anytime a configuration is changed.

Definitely automatically.

Again if you haven't checked out Rancid do. It's free and does all this for you and more. Even has a nice and neat web interface for diffs.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Solarwinds Orion. Gathers backups and changes automatically of the configs. It also has a nice feature that shows changes made with timestamps.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kiwi cat tools for configs, all our devices that have usb ports all have a flash drive inserted with an IOS, and a config stored on it.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to use all the above Kiwi, Trivia etc. but now I just backup the config's via putty. Once I save the config I end session and I restart session all while in the cli. Then, I change the putty settings; save the config via notepad and clean up the non sense i.e. more!, login info etc... Now, this method helps me keep sharp and aware of what is really getting backed up.
  • Options
    That seems like an unfeasible approach once device counts start getting high. A network of 1000+ devices would take a team of people a long time logging in and manually backing up everything. Not to mention the amount of space needed to save everything.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CISCO prime for the Cisco gear,

Legacy 3com and other kit I use restore point (Automate Network & Security device Backup, Configuration Compliance, Change Detection, Provisioning, Asset Management) as it can get configs of a multitude of devices as well as switches and routers, such as checkpoint, netapp, esxi hosts. So for small shops it covers a lot of device in one solution.

Kiwicat tools is another great tool, don't use it here but was my tool of choice for years.

I have also set up TLC/Expect scripts to back up and manage config changes before.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    I have a question about Kiwi Cat Tools. Is it something that used to be free? Im showing Solarwinds starting at $750.

Is this what eveyone is using? Download Kiwi CatTools - MajorGeeks

I cant brain today, so I can't Rancid either. Orion cost prohibitive. So Kiwi it is.

I really appreciate the input everyone!
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    CatTools get's my vote
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Cat Tools only allows for one device. So now thats out.
  • Options
    And here we are back to Rancid. Easy and free!
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not Rancid, not Free, a program we used, Great tool, (Netbrain), I've had classes, it is a licensed program. It cost LOTS! It maps a network (live), L3, and L2. LIVE as in , at the moment live results. It also features its own integrated terminal emulator so you can call up configs on the fly. Storage of network topology is also integrated. NETBRAIN
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a question about Kiwi Cat Tools. Is it something that used to be free? Im showing Solarwinds starting at $750.

Is this what eveyone is using? Download Kiwi CatTools - MajorGeeks

I cant brain today, so I can't Rancid either. Orion cost prohibitive. So Kiwi it is.

I really appreciate the input everyone!

Kiwi was brought out a few years back by solarwinds

when it was independent it was free for 5 devices and about £199 for the pro version. Sadly solarwinds now sell it at around £600 icon_sad.gif, still a great product but for not much more you can get much better products. They have also integrated it in to there solarwind orion product line so not sure how long it will remain as a stand alone product.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Cat Tools is crazy easy and I do like it. Im probably going to go ahead and order as soon as I find an approved vendor.

I really appreciate all the input everyone!