Options

how many lost jobs because of the GOV this week?

inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got the notice effective immediately I'm out. Sucks it was a great job I really loved going to work! The only good thing now is that I have plenty of time to go to visit the doctor now.

Comments

• Options
    CloudKill9CloudKill9 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not really a job loss here, but my drill was cancelled as well as my VA appointments.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have family and friends from civilian-gov side loose jobs or get laid off but, they kept their pay while the government figures it out. Sad day!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not I but my Uncle and Cousin both are out. Their boss told them to plan on being off the full week. That's all the information I have.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My dad will be furloughed for the second time this year if the shutdown goes for another 2-3 weeks.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow tough times for sure. I wish everyone the best. It could be anyone of us.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I have family and friends from civilian-gov side loose jobs or get laid off but, they kept their pay while the government figures it out. Sad day!
    this is really confusing - they lost their job and kept their pay? so their still getting paid but not working?
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    My dad will be furloughed for the second time this year if the shutdown goes for another 2-3 weeks.

My mom is in the same boat. She's still trying to recover from the last one.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    this is really confusing - they lost their job and kept their pay? so their still getting paid but not working?

I presume he means they are contractors - gov workers are not guaranteed to receive their back pay until Congress funds it. Which should totally be, like, any minute now. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    hm, thats weird because I'm currently trying to apply for a government contractor job w/ the feds
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My cousin is "unemployed" until it's over. He's not IT, but works at a VA cemetery in NY.
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    My drill was canceled and my orders to Macdill for my new job can't be processed. =(
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    they gave me 5 weeks pay and a letter of reference; I guess since I supported migration of cisco legacy to nexus is strong, but crap just out of work.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    My wife and I are both home. I am using up vacation (federal contractor) and she'll get back pay probably (federal employee), but it pisses me off that the dunderhead politicians have to hurt the people to make a point.
  • Options
    yeah holiday pay for me plus the 2 week; and I get to walk away from the best job of my life that I worked so hard for!. Pisses me off bad, I could have in the future retired into that agency as a LAN engineer. Do you know what, I'll work for my ccie cert now.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont keep up with current events or watch TV.
    What happened that caused you guys to lose your jobs? Whats Gov?
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    I dont keep up with current events or watch TV.
    What happened that caused you guys to lose your jobs? Whats Gov?

I would have expected that from somebody who wasn't living in America. You must really be partying over in vegas or smething.
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Just to be clear... when you say "Lost Job" do you actually mean getting Fired/Let go? I would think Federal workers would be suspended until further notice as long as the Govt was shut down...

It's been only a few days, are fed employers making decisions like letting people go for good already?? Also people that are getting let go, is it both GS and Contractors?? Someone enlighten me...
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    W Stewart wrote: »
    I would have expected that from somebody who wasn't living in America. You must really be partying over in vegas or smething.
    Not at all. Work, study,and gym is my routine. No tv and I only read tech news websites typically.
    And I work graveyard so I sleep a lot.
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    I see. All caps I assumed it was an acronym.
    Good luck to those affected.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They gave me 5 weeks pay and a letter of reference;
    CCNTrainee wrote:
    Just to be clear... when you say "Lost Job" do you actually mean getting Fired/Let go? I would think Federal workers would be suspended until further notice as long as the Govt was shut down...

How many here have permanently lost jobs due to this?

I'm curious how common this is; most new stories are about non-essential federal employees and contractors being temporarily furloughed, with the House already passing federal employees receiving back-pay when they return to work. That's definitely unfortunate and something I sympathize with, but this fired demographic hasn't been well-covered.
    gbdavidx wrote:
    The Senate still has to approve, but it would be.. politically unwise.. for them to do otherwise.
  • Options
    They said that my contract was over and that they tried to get it refunded. Funny thing is that when I signed on it was for five years. It is written for five years. oh well,,, Working with nexus everyday, supporting legacy cisco migration to nexus, and building a data center is great stuff that I can add to my resume. legacy cisco, EOL/EOS.
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Is there any other Fed workers that give some feedback on this?? Only one person so far has confirmed that they were actually "Let Go" from their job on this post. I'm assuming everyone else is Furloughed and Suspended until further notice...
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Not at all. Work, study,and gym is my routine. No tv and I only read tech news websites typically.
    And I work graveyard so I sleep a lot.

I see. All caps I assumed it was an acronym.
    Good luck to those affected.

Same here with the graveyard shift and sleeping a lot. My wife doesn't understand that 12 hour night shifts can tire you out. I' d like to get back to the gym and start lifting weights again but it's hard to keep up a 3 day routine and still have time to sleep before work.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    The news that we got here (in the UK), or at least in interpretation is that the "normal" civil servants are losing pay as there is no guarantee that there will be any backpay, yet the politicians that couldn't agree, and in turn caused this, are still getting paid. Is this correct?
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    They said that my contract was over and that they tried to get it refunded. Funny thing is that when I signed on it was for five years. It is written for five years. oh well,,, Working with nexus everyday, supporting legacy cisco migration to nexus, and building a data center is great stuff that I can add to my resume. legacy cisco, EOL/EOS.

inscom.brigade:

I know about the contract thing. The last one I was on actually had the new contract begin on 09/30, instead of 10/01. (Using FY 2013 funds that already existed, versus FY 2014 funds, which may not appear.)

Hrm, there aren't that many places to work in Mississippi. Were you working with NASA?

EDIT: If not NASA, then I might know a person who can help you get back into production.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    inscom.brigade:

I know about the contract thing. The last one I was on actually had the new contract begin on 09/30, instead of 10/01. (Using FY 2013 funds that already existed, versus FY 2014 funds, which may not appear.)

Hrm, there aren't that many places to work in Mississippi. Were you working with NASA?

EDIT: If not NASA, then I might know a person who can help you get back into production.
    Not in Mis, just another step of agency security. Do want to get back in, was not with NASA
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Not in Mis, just another step of agency security. Do want to get back in, was not with NASA

Oh. I was trying to help you find gigs that were local to you, because even though some places do relocation, it's just easier working with local candidates.

I'll PM you. [Don't worry, I'm not a recruiter.]
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)