Options

Moving and in need of a new router!

WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
Not looking for anything expensive, so...

Option A: Go with the good old WRT54GL(DD-WRT of course) and a Gigabit switch for the LAN?

Option B: Or try to find a decent wireless N and Gigabit Ethernet router?

The catch is I have a $75 gift card to Radio Shack, so just trying to use it up. I'm leaning towards option A.
Never stop learning.

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would go with Option A if you want to stay within the budget of only using a gift card but I would highly recommend spending a little more for a Gigabit Ethernet router with wireless N. I'm using the Netgear N600 Wireless-N Dual Band Gigabit Router - Black (WNDR3700) and it's amazing. I've never had a single issue with it and I've owned it for years. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Radioshack does have that model for $80 bucks and it has pretty good reviews on Newegg. I think I could afford the extra $5 =)

Are you running the stock firmware or DD-WRT?
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    There are several versions of the WNDR3700 including ones sold under other model names at specific retailers so do some research because they are not all "the same thing" underneath the plastic chassis. I would recommend one of the newest Netgear routers that has replaced that model since they have essentially doubled the specs of the hardware in the current models. Also, many of those models are out of date as far as firmware goes since they no longer get updated despite being sold in many places.