Options

Network Equipment Rack Suggestions?

TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
I'm building my CCNP lab, and was wondering what equipment racks you all use?

Right now i have flimsy 12ru one, so i'm looking to replace it with something larger since I have more equipment coming in.

Does anyone use Skeletek Racks? Suggest anything else?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Skeletek racks from Dantrak Net  - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories. seem to be the most popular on TE. You can see a few examples of home labs in this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/15235-post-your-lab-pics.html
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    Thanks! That's a great thread.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Racks are overrated, just stack up your routers.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    Racks are overrated, just stack up your routers.

No kidding. That's all I've done. If ever there is a day when my "rack" no longer houses equipment that hums, it can be converted to garden duty and hold some plants. (it's just a cheapo shelving unit): http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/93843-ccie-r-s-voice-home-lab-pix.html
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @instant000 - I have always wondered why all the rack images on TE have the ubiquitous Cisco book on display? - in your case it's the Lammle CCNA Data Center text from Sybex. icon_rolleyes.gif

/points fingers at that trendsetter Roguetadhg
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @instant000 - I have always wondered why all the rack images on TE have the ubiquitous Cisco book on display? - in your case it's the Lammle CCNA Data Center text from Sybex. icon_rolleyes.gif

/points fingers at that trendsetter Roguetadhg

LOL. In my case, it was one of the few hardcopy Cisco press books that I own. I used to own more, but gave them away some time back, and I've been going mostly electronic (Safari Books Online).

OK, if you don't buy that story, here's another one:

We're advertising for Cisco, and we get a few dollars everytime someone access the images. Don't you get something for your avatar?

I know, I know. You're laughing. Truth is, we'd be more likely to end up like Jeremy: Cisco Muscles Jeremy Cioaro out of CiscoBlog.com - Packet Life

We'd paste our screenshots and cover up all the Cisco logos ... :/
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I think a 12 slot rack should hold everything you'd need for CCNP labbing.

I have:

1 x 1841 running 15.1 ios
    3 x 2611XM running 12.4 advanced IP ios
    1 x 2620XM with 4-port A/S card, also 12.4 for my frame switch
    1 x 3550 running EMI image ios
    2 x 2950's
    1 x 2509 Access Router

I want one more 3550 but that can wait for SWITCH studies, but the large topologies in the lab manul that use 6+ routers, I'd honestly just rent rack time for. Doing the main portion of 4 router topologies will give you loads of experience with hands on.

I've learned worlds outside of any study materials just setting that lab up, and even though it set me back on a few bills, it makes labbing SO much more enjoyable than running simulators.

I've finally exhausted my lab budget, so aside from an extra 3550 for SWITCH, I think my gear is boarderlining overkill for CCNP studies. Though I do plan on continuing forward so that lab will probably grow :)
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I bought one (45 RU Rack) from Craigslist.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]