Options

Streaming Microsoft Lync

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
I thought I would throw this in here in the hope some one is either a Lync Guru or just has had a need to do this in the past and figure it out.

The set up is I have some "Media Information Screens" around sour various sites that can display company information, video clips, rss feeds and the likes. We use them to keep users informed of event happening on site and in reception areas to give visitors some thing to look at as they wait.

Now our Director like to give talks to the staff along with a lot of world leading scientists, but he they do not have time to visit all the sites so we would like to stream these talks to the display screens at other sites in real time (or close to). We already use Lync to stream the talk to another conference room and to record it for later publishing on the internal internet. But does any one know a way to capture a live feed from Lync and then stream via a web browser interface with out the need for a Lync client?

The Media screens can present many formats of video streamed from a web page, but it cant run a Lync client, so the ideal system would be a box that logs in to the meeting, captures the streams and transcodes them in real time to a stream the displays can use.

My issue at the moment is how to capture the stream in a format that I can feed in to a transcoder?

Any ideas or solutions ?
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Id be interested to see if you can find a solution for this. I think using Lync for this could be used here. I am always looking for brownie points :)
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What version of Lync are you running? I know 2013 has a web app so that Users can join a Lync Meeting using a web brower and stream video/audio.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    Hi,

using 2013, but as i understand it you still need to log in to the webpage and install an applet to join a meeting. I don't have this function on the display screens, so cant see how to do it with this.

There are also about 8 screens, and don't want to have to set up each one, but central managed if I had a stream URL with out a log in or special codec. I can tell all the screens to stream that URL.

I do run microsoft web app server but not sure if I could use this?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll be deploying Lync Web App shortly, but take a look at it here and see if this is something that can be a solution for you as well:

Lync 2013: The New Lync Web App - NextHop - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
  • Options
    Lync web app is part of the 2013 server install. however it still needs a log in (although you can use guest) and you need to install a plug in to get full video and audio.

one way to do it would be to use a tool to capture the webpage from a single client and then stream this. But I have yet to work out how to capture and stream from a webpage in one go :)
  • Options
    Quick update.

Looking at Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 (which can capture desktop and video and stream it) along with Windows media server for 2008 R2 to do the finaly streaming and you should be able to get this to work.

I have got the encoder part to capture the video an audio, but my laptop dose not like to do the streaming so need to set up the rest. But I am confident that with a bit of time I can get a simple (ish) set up going to stream to a native HTML feed using something any web browser can render.