Passed CISSP-ISSMP today!

abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed my CISSP-ISSMP exam today that was pending for long time. I had to reschedule the exam 2 times ouch icon_sad.gif) due to changes in my job.

Well, I didn't wanna pay $50 bucks third time. Took the risk, started reading ISACA CISM review manual last Saturday 09/28 and did review of official ISSMP book as well. Did few CISM questions every night. Today 10/5 morning (after 7 days starting the studies) head over to Pearson Vue and appeared for ISSMP test.

Got Congratulations! printout at the front desk after finishing the test!

Not sure what to do next after the below list? Any recommendations?

Current Security Certifications
  • CISSP-ISSMP: Information Systems Security Management Professional – ISC2.Org
  • CISM: Certified Information Security Manager – ISACA.Org
  • CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional – ISC2.Org
  • CHSS: Certified HIPAA Security Specialist™ – HIPAA Academy
  • CHP: Certified HIPAA Professional – HIPAA Academy
  • itSMF ITIL: Foundation Certification in IT Service Management
  • MCSE: Security Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
  • QUALYSGUARD CERTIFIED SPECIALIST: Vulnerability Management – Qualys Inc.

Comments

  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253
    Grats on the pass! Nice job!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats.

    Maybe go for ISSAP or ISSEP.
    Andy

    2017 Goals: 1 of 5 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Senior Member EuropeMember Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    من طلب عزائم الأمور ، هان عليه بذل النفس فيها - محمد إبن ابي عامر
    www.keyboardbanger.com
  • samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Congrats icon_cheers.gif...Great job buddie!!! And Welcome to TE.

    The CISSP-ISSMP is on my list to do, work committments are making me do other certs first.

    Well on what to do next, I guess that all depends on what you do at work, what interests you or where you are trying to go???
  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, EnCE, C|EH, CySA+, PenTest+, CASP+, Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 11,667 Admin
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

    You are now one of TE's few CISSP-ISSMP experts!
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CRISC is the most common cert people goes after CISSP. You may want to consider that one
  • redzredz CISSP-ISSAP, ISSEP, ISSMP, CAP (& others) Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Those concentrations ain't easy.

    As far as next certs, it really depends on what you want to get certified for...

    If you want to round out the security-realm of certifications on your resume, the C|EH is a methodology course that employers fawn over, and would really add another dimension to the certification list you have. I am not a big proponent of it, but it has its place.

    If you're looking for pure resume-building, then a PMP is probably one of the best routes you can take right now. RMP wouldn't hurt, either.

    If you're looking for something interesting, pick a technology you either enjoy or know very little about, and hit that. You may benefit from a CCNA/CCNP:Security or VCP in the future; they aren't likely to open a lot of doors, but could very well open some. I don't see any specific technical certifications on there, I think they would also be good moves. In fact, I was planning to start a CCNP:Sec path before I was convinced to work the ISSAP.
  • abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the wishes!

    I'm in the management role currently working on ISO27001 and SSAE16 projects. In the past I have managed security engineering teams and other advisory groups. I guess my next role will be management level role in advisory practice with one of the big 4'c. I will research on net what I should pick up that will help me in the advisory role.

    btw how much time ISC2 takes to do the endorsement? I sent out the resume yesterday. I got email today morning that my documentation has been placed in queue for review. I have 13+ years of experience in US with fortune 500 companies:)

    Thanks again!
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    abhiku wrote: »
    Passed my CISSP-ISSMP exam today that was pending for long time. I had to reschedule the exam 2 times ouch icon_sad.gif) due to changes in my job.

    Well, I didn't wanna pay $50 bucks third time. Took the risk, started reading ISACA CISM review manual last Saturday 09/28 and did review of official ISSMP book as well. Did few CISM questions every night. Today 10/5 morning (after 7 days starting the studies) head over to Pearson Vue and appeared for ISSMP test.

    Got Congratulations! printout at the front desk after finishing the test!

    Not sure what to do next after the below list? Any recommendations?

    Current Security Certifications
    • CISSP-ISSMP: Information Systems Security Management Professional – ISC2.Org
    • CISM: Certified Information Security Manager – ISACA.Org
    • CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional – ISC2.Org
    • CHSS: Certified HIPAA Security Specialist™ – HIPAA Academy
    • CHP: Certified HIPAA Professional – HIPAA Academy
    • itSMF ITIL: Foundation Certification in IT Service Management
    • MCSE: Security Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
    • QUALYSGUARD CERTIFIED SPECIALIST: Vulnerability Management – Qualys Inc.

    Nicely done! Congrats!

    You might want to think about adding some of the other ISACA certs or the IAPP certs to broaden your skillset, but you've got a good set of credentials right now.

    ISSAP also comes to mind.
  • redzredz CISSP-ISSAP, ISSEP, ISSMP, CAP (& others) Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    abhiku wrote: »
    btw how much time ISC2 takes to do the endorsement? I sent out the resume yesterday. I got email today morning that my documentation has been placed in queue for review.

    I received the "endorsement submitted" for the ISSEP on September 11, 2013, and received "Congratulations, it gives me great pleasure to be the first to address you with..." on October 2, 2013.

    They say five weeks... According to my wait times, I've had 21 calendar days (ISSEP - Sept), 24 calendar days (CAP - July), and 18 calendar days (CISSP - February), all this year. You know, not that I keep track of the most painful part of obtaining these certifications... God I hate the waiting...
  • abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    redz wrote: »
    I received the "endorsement submitted" for the ISSEP on September 11, 2013, and received "Congratulations, it gives me great pleasure to be the first to address you with..." on October 2, 2013.

    They say five weeks... According to my wait times, I've had 21 calendar days (ISSEP - Sept), 24 calendar days (CAP - July), and 18 calendar days (CISSP - February), all this year. You know, not that I keep track of the most painful part of obtaining these certifications... God I hate the waiting...

    Cool thanks!

    You just need to send resume for ISSMP or ISSEP..correct?

    Do you mind giving me some pointers on CNSS 4011, 4012, 4015, 4016A certifications? how to get them? One of the thing I was thinking is to do some Cyber Security certification from approved body.

    Thanks
    AK
  • redzredz CISSP-ISSAP, ISSEP, ISSMP, CAP (& others) Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    abhiku wrote: »
    You just need to send resume for ISSMP or ISSEP..correct?
    Yeah, slightly modified - they want address, email, phone number of supervisor at each position. According to my previous supervisors, none were contacted.
    abhiku wrote: »
    Do you mind giving me some pointers on CNSS 4011, 4012, 4015, 4016A certifications? how to get them? One of the thing I was thinking is to do some Cyber Security certification from approved body.
    I got them through a company-funded Q/C&A class at Security University (http://www.securityuniversity.net/classes_CandA.php). At the time I took the course (~mid 2012), they were the only course accredited to do the 4016A in a week-long course (Vice the I or the E - lower levels of certification). That got me all four. Honestly, the Security University Q/C&A course was one of the best courses I've taken. The test was open book with long, written answers (just like life - it ain't multiple choice), the instructor only taught the class four times per year and otherwise was doing it, and they went as fast or as slow as the small class size (~10-14) needed.

    I have heard stories that other places offering the 401* courses are not as good. I can't say firsthand that they aren't, just that I've heard things ("Yeah, we took the test in pencil and then graded our own"). I do not know which other companies, and I cannot vouch for the validity of those comments firsthand.

    If you're hellbent on the 4016X, you'll probably need to do a 4016 course. If not, I know that there are other courses that will get you the 4011 and 4012 (possibly 13 and 15, too?), that you can take. EDIT: Really depends what you want it for, I needed the 4016 specifically to become a Marine Corps Validator, otherwise I probably wouldn't have pursued it on my own. It's very NISTy.

    To be honest, my Federal Government IA expertise is not helping me find a job right now. Thanks, Government.
  • beadsbeads Senior Member Member Posts: 1,503 ■■■■■■■■■□
    abhiku wrote: »
    Thank you all for the wishes!

    I'm in the management role currently working on ISO27001 and SSAE16 projects. In the past I have managed security engineering teams and other advisory groups. I guess my next role will be management level role in advisory practice with one of the big 4'c. I will research on net what I should pick up that will help me in the advisory role.

    btw how much time ISC2 takes to do the endorsement? I sent out the resume yesterday. I got email today morning that my documentation has been placed in queue for review. I have 13+ years of experience in US with fortune 500 companies:)

    Thanks again!

    This is routine and normal. ISC2 audits 10 percent of all applicants and renewals. I wouldn't feel as though your being called out or picked for individual review because something looks odd or funny. Its just a random 10 percent audit that should really be the 10 percent of folks who look odd or funny in the first place.

    In other words I have meet a number of people who have been awarded the CISSP and make me wonder how they managed to submit credentials in the first place.

    - Beads
  • abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Redz,

    Hmm, I was not aware of modified resume with all the supervisor address and contact information. I sent them same resume which I'm using for job search. Just 2 pages long with all my experience and stuff. Should I send them updated one -with all Manager's information on it?

    Thanks for the background on CNSS IA courses. I will look into it. My interest is more towards Cyber Security. I guess that's the hot area right now:)
  • abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got the email today, just nowicon_cheers.gif

    Congratulations! It gives me great pleasure to be the first to address you with the Information Systems Security Management Professional (ISSMP®) designation!
Sign In or Register to comment.