Options

Server+ what you need to know

Zork2001Zork2001 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
***RAID 0,1,5, 10, 50. You need to know how many disks they require and how to figure out their capacity. Example: If you have 4 200GB drives and you configure them for RAID 5 how much space will you have? (RAID is HUGE know it like the back of your hand) --which raid configurations have parity, which one allows for hot swappable, Hardware/Software RAID difference; what a RAID controller is Processors/CPU know the difference between Intel and AMD and what pins/sockets they use, which are compatible with which All the random pieces of the motherboard---PCI slots, What ISA slots are and do, daughter board, expansion boards; SCSI; ISCSI; SAS; CMOS Drives-Flash, SATA, IDE, DVD know what jumpers are for IDE drives and what you do with them(slave/master) Know WORM -write once read many---a cd-r would be an example because you can't change the files it once it is written to the disk difference between SAN and NAS--how they connect which one you would use and for what You need to know what an HBA card is and what it does and what a fiber channel is Backups---Full Increment differential the intimate details of what the difference is---Grandfather-Father-Son backups, off-site, what is a tape library, Hot, cold and warm sites
WSUS- windows server update services---general knowledge of what it is for and how to use it.
Virtualization-setting up multiple OS on a single server PXE--you can reimage with it but also library's and small networks use it for like standard machines instead of having several machine with boxes and OS's NOS--which is what they call the Server OS Command line things like tracert; nslookup; ping; nbstat -a; netstat Server types File server; application server; print server Difference between 64bit and 32bit RAM---SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, DDR3 etc their different names like PC6400 is considered BLAH Diskpart, ckdsk--what it is for Emergency procedures--if there is a fire evacuate everyone first and foremost RISC/CISC they have to do with Sun machines---not much on them just what the hell they are BIOS and POST what they are and what you do with them---setting boot order and all that Multimeter (tests voltage and electrical type crap), post board (or something like that it is for troubleshooting a computer that will not POST you plug it into the motherboard) Types of server Blade A U is a server rack measurement that describes height 1 U is 1.75in so 2 U would be 3.5 inches and so forth typical rack is 42 U which means it hold 6ft of equipment NTP; SMTP, SNMP, LDAP, DNS, DHCP--what they are/do

good luck
icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great stuff. Thank you very much. What materials did you use to study with? I'm thinking of buying a used server (or three) to play with and eventually get my Server+ (along with various MS and Linux server certs). Your post really made me realize how much I've forgotten since my A+ test nearly a year ago. I will have a lot to study, that is for certain. Again, thanks for the post!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Server+ is really just A+ on Steroids. I passed it with about a week's study and from my own general knowledge. I will say that the RAID's are a pain. You need to know what they are, and when to use them down to four 80GB disks used in a RAID 5, how much space will you have in total? type question.

They also harped on some ports. Good write up.

I personally used CBT Nuggets Server+ video's and Jon Lau's book Concise Server, and 300 practice questions from *********. I also used Skillport's Server+ Pre-test (Which had about 20 similar questions)

All in all, I think anyone going for this should have a minimum of 1 year real experience and hands on.
    Kindly doing the needful