Options

Stanley VSphere 5.1 ICM Class of 10/21/2013-12/11/2013

Hey

I just signed up for the class !

Others who have signed up for the class please do post or reply to this thread ! Maybe we can start discussing things and help each other out !

Thanks

Chanakya

P.S I just got an email from Jana Kennedy saying that she will be sending out the links for the payment today or tomorrow.

I had another question , can anyone tell me if I have to buy the book from Stanley or can I just buy it online myself. If i can buy it online can anyone of you tell me the ISBN number. Or if Stanly sends you the Ebook or a physical Book.
Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

Comments

• Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    I'm in this class as well. I am not going to purchase a book from Stanly, I will be using my Mastering vSphere 5 book, and I also can use a former colleagues VMWare books he got from attending a VCP 5 bootcamp this year.
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Good to know. Can you tell me the isbn or the book name of the official text book ?
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]

• Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am Also in this class and really looking forward to it.

I ordered my book from the stanly online book store.

The book info:
    VMWARE VSPHERE 5.0: INSTALL,CONFIGURE,MANAGE
    Author:GILMORE

It doesn't give any more than that. The price with shipping was under $60.
  • Options
    I emailed the bookstore regarding the details of the book and the cost for shipping. Lets wait and see. I am excited to take the class too !

• Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same here, also in this class... hoping to fly through it if there aren't any lab issues :).

I already passed the VCP exam a while back so will most likely need to call up VMware once I get through the class to finally earn the VCP credential and move on to VCAP.
  • Options
    I plan to write the exam after the class. I have a VCP 3 from long time ago but want to do the course before the exam.

• Options
    HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't need the book. The book is total waste. I passed the exam without the Mastering vSphere 5 book. I just used the free OMG VCP study guide.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I concur the book's a sheer waste of money. The Mastering book will give you much much greater ROI and is a good resource for the VCAP-DCA too should you tread that path.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TheProf wrote: »
    Same here, also in this class... hoping to fly through it if there aren't any lab issues :).

I already passed the VCP exam a while back so will most likely need to call up VMware once I get through the class to finally earn the VCP credential and move on to VCAP.

Did you pass the VCP510 or the VCP510PSE? If the former, you may be in trouble and need to take the exam (the PSE version) again.

According to VMware, the standard VCP510 requires the official training while the PSE version is for students and does not require the standard training. It's the same exam, but different as far as how it is processed. You may want to call VMware to see if that's an issue.
  • Options
    Thank you folks for the details. I fortunately have a Safari Subscription and it has access to both the books ! So lets see how that goes !

I had another question. Are these classes live or are they recorded sessions of a previously conducted class.

• Options
    HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had another question. Are these classes live or are they recorded sessions of a previously conducted class.

The classes aren't live, you can watch the videos whenever you like. I don't think they're even recordings of an "at one time" live class.
  • Options
    HP_Guy ! Thank you ! I was just going to pay and I had this golden question about timings of the class. If they are videos thats just fine ! Do you get a certificate of completion or something from Stanley ?

• Options
    phonic wrote: »
    Did you pass the VCP510 or the VCP510PSE? If the former, you may be in trouble and need to take the exam (the PSE version) again.

According to VMware, the standard VCP510 requires the official training while the PSE version is for students and does not require the standard training. It's the same exam, but different as far as how it is processed. You may want to call VMware to see if that's an issue.

Good question, I believe I passed the standard VCP510, but that was when you could schedule the exam before completing the course first. I know for sure you could do them in reverse order before, but now they've made it so that you have to have done the course first before you can even register for the exam.

I took the VCP exam near the end of last year.
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    I was able to register for the VCP510PSE exam without having credit for the course. I expect to have the credit by mid to mid late October, but I already have the exam scheduled for November 1st. All the process seems to require is request authorization from VMware, which is just backend processing to create a link between PearsonVUE and VMware, candidate ID if you need one, etc from what I can tell.
    Good question, I believe I passed the standard VCP510, but that was when you could schedule the exam before completing the course first. I know for sure you could do them in reverse order before, but now they've made it so that you have to have done the course first before you can even register for the exam.

I took the VCP exam near the end of last year.
  • Options
    HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HP_Guy ! Thank you ! I was just going to pay and I had this golden question about timings of the class. If they are videos thats just fine ! Do you get a certificate of completion or something from Stanley ?

Not sure on this one, my class only finished yesterday. It may be that they just inform VMWare that you've completed and are therefore eligible to become VCP after passing the exam. One of the 'assignments' is to register with VMWare.
  • Options
    Thanks ! I will check with the Instructor about that ! Now I guess I am all set for the class !

• Options
    mguernseymguernsey Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the class and ordered the book already; also have the Mastering book. Looking forward to class starting.
  • Options
    Anyone get an email as to when the class is starting? I know the title of the thread shows the date and all but I was just curious about the email as we probably have to associate the vSphere class with VMware Mylearn.
  • Options
    I believe this happens towards the end of the class.

• Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    I received some bad news today, residents of Alaska, Arkansas, kentucky, and Minnesota aren't eligible to take any distance learning classes through Stanly due to Federal/State regulations and complying with existing state laws for distance learning.

I've emailed them back to see if I can get around it by doing something, but if not looks like I will be looking at other colleges/universities that offer the course online that a KY resident is eligible for (if any). Although none of them that I've seen on this forum are even close to the price of Stanly, I can expense for work but have to pay out of pocket for it initially which might pose a problem.

Worst case, my employer is likely willing to put me through the traditional bootcamp but I will be signing an agreement that if I leave within a certain time I will be responsible for paying back the cost since this year 2 of our employee's left the company within 6 months of having their VCP (paid for by the company).
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You may want to check Ohlone College. If you live outside of California, you'll have to pay out-of-state tuition of $218 per unit hour. It's a two-unit course.
  • Options
    Radiohead316Radiohead316 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just a friendly reminder to log in today. :) Make sure you take it one step at a time, and read everything carefully.
  • Options
    Yup, just completed the course overview... good to go.

Question, when does the course appear in the MyLearn? Is there an indication that it is in progress or only shows after I've completed the course successfully. There was a section to register for the course on the Moodle site, just curious.
  • Options
    I got logged into mine today, Had to manually reset the PSWD first. Looks like nothing is really setup as far as the class goes though.
  • Options
    Yup, just completed the course overview... good to go.

Did yours have any content when you clicked course overview? Mine only has an attempt quiz now button, no content to read before taking a quiz?
  • Options
    cruwl wrote: »
    Did yours have any content when you clicked course overview? Mine only has an attempt quiz now button, no content to read before taking a quiz?

Yep, it just confirms that you understand what is required of you for the course, which is explained in the question itself.

It's more of a consent form, rather than a quiz. Same thing with the VMWare registration one.
  • Options
    alisonmariealisonmarie Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the class also... did the quiz and looking forward to what's ahead.
  • Options
    haydezhaydez Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the class too. I've been lurking here for a long time but finally registered for the forums a few months back.

Wish more modules would open up for the weekend. So far it shows only 1-3 on the page and the only 'quiz' is module 2. I want to fly through this... too anxious! :)
  • Options
    Yeah, same. Modules 4-6 should open on Monday I believe.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How does one track their Netlabs progress? I'm done with Lab 6 so far. I can't find anything on Netlab to see if I completed the exercises.