Options

Career path for desktop tech?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
If i am a desktop tech with a few years of experience can this lead to a system engineer position with the right certs?

or would you say desktop tech, system admin then system engineer or network engineer...

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Jumping to an engineering position without proven experience as an administrator is a bit of a stretch. Is there a reason why you're trying to avoid being a SA?
  • Options
    nope, just wasn't sure the career path, i'm currently in a very basic help desk role on the phones, trying to get to desktop then system admin i suppose
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be generic Id say this is a common progression
    Helpdesk
    Desktop Support
    Server Admin/Jr Admin or Systems Admin/Jr Admin
    Systems Engineer

That's if you wanted to stick to server administration. Good certs to have would be the Microsoft OS and Server certs, or possibly Linux.
  • Options
    wish i never took the help desk role, i was a contractor doing desktop, then back tracked to helpdesk (current), now back to desktop(if i get this job/interview friday) and hopefully going forward to server admin next
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went from desktop support to network engineer. Cert up and show you have a desire for whatever field you want to get into. You shouldn't have to much trouble finding an entry level position as long as you demonstrate that you have good foundational knowledge in you interviews.
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    And remember it's just a title, all that really matter is that you have the skills to perform the job of a Systems Engineer. Get the knowledge, skills, experience, and break the rules! If you think you have what it takes for a Systems Engineer position apply for it, go to the interview.