Anyone ride a motorcycle to work?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Anyone ride a motorcycle to work?

Comments

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rode today.
    Weather is so nice right now.
    Here we only get 8 weeks of perfect riding weather and they are right now.
  • Options
    I really want to ride and get my motorcycle license but with all the idiots on the rode it frightens me.... is it pretty safe to ride as long as your cautious?
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    In my opinion, no it is not safe at all.
    I dont recommend anyone to ride a motorcycle. You can be the safest most cautious rider in the world, but you cant control what other people do.
    I have been hit by a car twice on my bike. Both times the other drivers fault. Ive broken several bones and have injuries that will last my entire life. Also my laptop in my backpack broke. icon_sad.gif

On the other hand I love doing it and there is a certain freedom and joy to it. I will be riding bikes for the foreseeable future.
    If you do decide to ride always wear full gear and have medical insurance.
  • Options
    sadfjlfdo24sadfjlfdo24 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□

+1. I have a motorcycles license, and I would not ride it to work. I have seen way too many wrecks involving motorcyclists and have friends who got injured as well. Its just not something you should consider in a big city.

If you live in a really rural area, with steady weather, then that is different, but even then, your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I live in New England and though the temperature has been going down lately I will continue riding as long as I can. I'm thinking till the middle of November with the right gear.

As others have said you may be the safest and cautious rider, but some drivers are not to say the least. I've had a few calls myself, but mainly in the city where cars can randomly come to a halt. My commute it about 35 minutes one way and mostly all highway. Speed is much more of a factor at this point, but I periodically check my mirrors and those around me.

The mornings are more rough than the evenings as the temperature is lower in the morning. I choose to ride my motorcycle as my car is a 2011 and has around 39,000 so I'm trying it keep it low for the type of car I own, additionally gas plays a factor in this as well which is why I will try to ride the motorcycle till mid November if I could. I rather pay $12 to fill up and get 170 miles out of a 3 gallon tank as opposed to $55-$60 to get 270 miles and refill up every 3-4 days. (60 miles total or so in one days travel; to and from)
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Owning and riding a bike is something I've always wanted to do. That along with a nice Corvette and a 19 year old girlfriend may have to wait. Too many responsibilities (read: wife) holding me back. :)
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought my first one earlier this spring and road to work almost every day until I went down on mine. Once I got it back I still road as much as I can.

Riding has an inherent risk you have to be willing to accept, I have had several drivers already completely not see me and its a wake up call to you when you driving in a car. I pay a lot more attention now when driving my car and give other bikes a lot more room.

I was pretty lucky to walk away from my accident that was all my fault with little more then a bruised shoulder, and a fairly beat up bike. Was a good learning experience for me I hope to not repeat again. even with my accident I still choose to ride.
  • Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    I use to ride a ton on mine. Had a 2007 CBR 600. It was my baby after my other motorcycle. Rode for three years and then had an accident were I broke several bones. 4 vertebra on my spine, collar bone, and shoulder blade. In short, I broke my back. I feel pretty lucky too. I had a full recovery with no surgery. If it wasn't for my gear, I'd be dead.

I figured I would start to ride again in 10 years or so but I've canceled that whole idea too. My uncle just died a few days ago on his. Wore a helmet too, still died.
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    going to motorcycle safety school next weekend to get my license.
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I would like to try it sometime, but I can't justify owning a $30,000 vehicle that I can only use part of the year. Same reason I don't own a camper/boat/other driveway or garage ornament. I am a very functional type of person when it comes to purchasing anything. Maybe when I am old and the kids are out of the house/have their own sustainable lives. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    $30,000? What bikes are you looking at? Brand new Harleys? I got my 2007 CBR 600 with 700miles on it for $6,000. Sport bikes are a lot cheaper than cruisers though.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I used to and would love to again. Started out on a Ninja 250 then moved up to a GSX-R 600 with some mods. I ended up selling that when between jobs but have been looking at picking up a SV-1000S sometime this winter or next summer. This time around maybe I'll actually get my motorcycle endorsement and be legal about it!
  • Options

I figured I would start to ride again in 10 years or so but I've canceled that whole idea too. My uncle just died a few days ago on his. Wore a helmet too, still died.

this last part is what scares me, can you can explain what happened w/ your uncle? I'm Sorry for your loss, but was he at fault?
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CARs smash into CARs, because the drivers did not see the car; if you can always remember that while riding you may live. Lots of thing to learn about riding and living. Try not to be to agressive, but you should not be passive either. Car drivers do risk the safty of all around them including their own family in their own car, when they think that they will miss their turn ; instant lane changes then a turn, always watch out for that NJ tag.

Bikes are fun huh, I advise don't do it. I still own some bikes, and always look at new ones to buy. I have a family and I need to provide for them, so I don't ride anymore.
  • Options
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    this last part is what scares me, can you can explain what happened w/ your uncle? I'm Sorry for your loss, but was he at fault?

Nope, wasn't his fault. There was some construction on the road with a triangle shaped median to divert traffic. One of the corners stuck out into the lane, was not painted yellow where it should of been, and was dark out. He hit it and his head hit another median. His neck swelled up and cut off circulation to his brain stem. If he did live, he would of been paralyzed.

Of course, after the accident the city put up cones until the median was fixed.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    $30,000? What bikes are you looking at? Brand new Harleys? I got my 2007 CBR 600 with 700miles on it for $6,000. Sport bikes are a lot cheaper than cruisers though.

Yes, the only bikes that one can look good on whether they young or old as dirt! :P
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Toss on a helmet with a tinted visor, you'll look like you're 20 all over again!
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    The CEO of the last company I worked for was an older gentleman with a CBR 600.

I was quite shocked when I saw this biker in the parking garage pull off their helmet and motorcycle gear to reveal our CEO wearing a full business suit.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to own one. I rode it to school and work every day (motorcycle parking in college was right in front). It is one of the most exhilarating feelings I've ever felt (riding a motorcycle). Never laid it down, and took great care of it. A combination of things made me sell it. After I got in a pretty bad car wreck, I felt like I lost my edge. Other cars just seemed to be...well...more dangerous to me. My girlfriend (now wife) HATED it. And lastly, I sold it to buy her a ring. Now that I have a son, I don't think I'll ever get another one. But there are days where I REALLY wish I still had one, and days where I'm glad I got rid of it.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security