MCSE self-study possible?

p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi
I am fresher in networking field. I have only a CCENT certificate. If i want to pass all or some papers of MCSE do I need to enrol in some institute? Or is it possible to do self-study?
I am from Calcutta,India and I am presently jobless and staying at home.
If possible then what are the resources I require to prepare for the papers - 70-410 ,70-411 and 412 exam?
Please advice.
Thanks
Best Regards

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Self study is definitely possible, but if you dont have some experience with servers it could be a little difficult. But by all means doable. Check out the resources and the Pass threads in this forum to see what resources people use to prepare. At the very minimum you are going to need a computer to be able to lab and learn the material. Merely reading wont suffice.

Another word of advice. DO NOT BLOW YOUR MONEY on any "institutes". No one can teach you what they claim to be able to in 5-7 days. Instead, invest in a decent computer, a book or two and perhaps a practice exam (such as Transcender). Besides TechNet is completely free and probably the most comprehensive resource out there. For the record, TechNet has been my primary resource for the 12 of the 13 Microsoft exams I have passed so far.

Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I plan on studying for this as well.

You want to download Windows Server 2012 . ITs good for 180 days.

Download oracle VM Virtual Box so You can run windows server on your existing machine. I'm in the process of doing this now.

and a good study guide..
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    You can self study. Institutes are not good in India for the Windows 2012 track as yet. So dont waste a lot of money. I suggest you get a job maybe at a contact centre first and then try your luck with other studies. CCENT should be able get you in as a Junior Level Network Technician or maybe an L1 at a NOC. This is is the Indian way of looking at this.

Also this depends on your other skills or degree.

Let me know in case you have any questions.

If you need leads or referrals for jobs in India let me know.

Cheers

Chanakya
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi chanakya,
    With just only a CCENT how is it possible to get a job? And what you said is just the opposite to what happens in India. I mean outside India you can get a job of network technician with CCENT but not here in India! In India even CCNA is a very small certification to fetch you a job.

Regards
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Thats what I was asking. Do you have a degree or are you a BTech ?
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I plan on studying for this as well.

You want to download Windows Server 2012 . ITs good for 180 days.

Download oracle VM Virtual Box so You can run windows server on your existing machine. I'm in the process of doing this now.

and a good study guide..

Quick question for Goldenlight. Why not use Hyper-V for this. It is something you need to know for the exam any way? Not a criticism, just a question. I am trying to determine if there is a particular advantage to using a separate piece of software for that.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    virtual box runs on your existing computer. If you have a Windows 7 computer that you use for your day to day work and it has enough power, you can load virtual box and run the VMs there.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks ajs - That makes sense. I am using Windows 8 and I am also lucky enough to have a spare lab box available to me to use that I loaded Server 2012 on. A couple of months ago I would not have had that and would have needed a solution like virtual box myself.