Options

Nexus 7 (2013)

whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
Who has one? Love it?

Any highly recommended apps to use with it?
Recommended cases? Hardware, etc?

Already did some google searches, but trust the opinions and recommendations on here more than newegg and amazon reviews!
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• Options
    mworwellmworwell Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have one. A great device...especially for the price.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Is this your first tablet? Have you used Android devices before? If you're familiar with Android, it's nothing surprising. You will get the same Google Store capabilities to get lots of different Apps.

I personally find that the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7", 8" or 10") 7" is slower than Nexus, but 8" is comparable. Samsung has better software built-in, especially for Home-Media integration, and the Camera effects. But Nexus 7 has the benefit that it's completely Open-Google, so you will always get the latest Firmware before any other devices.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I have both the 2013 and the 2012. Both are great. The 2013 is lighter and faster. Good tablet for the price. I think you would be giving up a lot to go lower than the Nexus.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have the 2013 model, still looking for a case that I like. I carry both my Ipad2 and the Nexus 7 in my backpack. I like having both sizes and option of both stores. The Nexus is super light, graphics are incredible, processor is fast. I like getting the latest and great OS right from Google and not having the bloatware that a lot of other tablets come with. Same reason I got the Nexus 4 for a phone. Im waiting for the 5 to come out soon.
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I heard great things about this one I might get it.
    But Im holding out until they bring out news about the 10" version soon to be coming out very shortley so I might get the 10" one if its any good. Or see what the new IPad will be like also coming very soon.
    But from what I can gather then Nexus 7 is very good.
  • Options
    The 10" is out, haven't heard about anything being updated on it, but who knows?
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I get an Android device again it will only be Nexus devices, I owned a Samsung Galaxy Tab and their UI stuff made it laggy but Cyanogenmod made it snappier.

I'm actually kinda impressed with the new Amazon Kindle Fire devices though, if I didn't own an iPad I would try one of those since I have Prime membership.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    From what I hear, the 10" refresh is supposed to be announced/released along with the Nexus 5. I have a Ipad 3, and want to give the 7" form factor a go. Think I will pickup a Nexus 7 this weekend and give it a go.

Seems like the tethering is a lot easier now. Pretty sure I will root it, since I believe it gives the ability to add a external HDD/flash drive via an attached usb cable.
    Bokeh wrote: »
    The 10" is out, haven't heard about anything being updated on it, but who knows?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »

I know its out but its just about to be updated relaunced this month so I would be looking to get the second generation verison if its any good when it comes out at the end of this month.
  • Options
    If rumor mill is correct, Nexus 5, KitKat, and others supposed to be announced on Tues. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah I have the 2013 version of the 7, it's a very nice device for the price. I'm looking for a keyboard/mouse case, but I don't think they've got something like that yet. Overall though, very pleased with it.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Oh my goodness, my first thought was that the OP had left off the "K".
    Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switches - Products & Services - Cisco Systems

... then I realized that it must be about an Android device:
    Nexus 7 - Google

Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)