Options

Avocent Cyclades TS3000

TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
My terminal server just came in the mail, but I can't access it. I connected via console and it goes through it's whole power on sequence, and then prompts me for a username and password. I have tried every possible combination I can think of.

Does anyone have any experience with these terminal servers? Any suggestions? I did find some documentation online that said to user "root" and leave the password field blank, but that didn't work either.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Did you ask the seller? Since a lot of the equipment we get is refurbished I could see that being possible.

I also found this...
    JC's Blog: Avocent Cyclades ACS console server password reset or reset unit factory defaults
  • Options
    Thanks for that, TechGuru. I was able to successfully log in and start the wiz. Now i'm using the web interface but can't seem to telnet to the first serial port. Everything I've read says that all i need to do is bring up cmd and telnet into the ip for the term server and add the port number to the end. I do that and nothing happens.
  • Options
    masajmarodmasajmarod Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just got my ts3000 up and running a few minutes ago and was wondering the same..I used putty to telnet into the TS, and..... that is as far as I have gotten. Do you have the owners manual? There does not appear to be many guides out there for this TS. Seeing that you are in Austin, I bet we got our servers from the same place!
  • Options
    @masajmarod, try bringing up cmd, then entering "telnet ip address port number" ex. "telnet 192.168.1.2 7001". From what I understand, you can use cmd rather than putty to bring up your session.

So, i'm doing that, and it shows "connecting" but nothing ever happens after that. The session just hangs there. Hopefully someone can chime in on this. It's very annoying. I've been working at it for the past 4 hours now.

As for the manual, I'm using the one below.

http://cpan.ausics.net/cyclades/cyclades-ts/doc/V_1.3.4/TS134-1_Manual.pdf

Please let me know if you make any progress.
  • Options
    I am using the TS 1.4.0 manual, too many pages to skim through to note the differences right now.
    ftp://ftp.sgi.com/public/Technical Support/Pdf files/TS140_Manual.pdf

I was able to successfully telnet using cmd. "telnet 192.168.1.200 7001" was successful. I have not tried other ports yet though. Hmm. Is there anything you would like for me to possibly check for you since mine is working? I've only been playing with mine for roughly an hour now.
  • Options
    Great! How did you telnet in? Did you use cmd or putty?

Also, in terms of steps, did you use the wiz and then move over to the web interface? Did you make any changes on the web interface? Anything to the serial ports or anything aside from the general instructions in the guide?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I am able to telnet in via cmd prompt (after I enabled telnet services), putty, hyperterm, etc. Using cmd, I telneted in just as I would on any other device. "Telnet 192.168.1.200 7001"

Using a normal cisco console cable to db9 usb adapter plugged into my computer I started up a serial connection with putty for the initial wiz configuration. Setup the hostname, disabled dhcp, left the domain name to cyclades.com, primary dns/gateway are the same IP address of my home router/gateway for all my devices(192.168.1.254), and a /24 mask. Saved to flash. Have not set a new username or password yet.

Used a rollover cable from port 1 and went straight to the console port on one of the cisco routers, plugged the server into the router, checked the connected devices on the routers web interface, pinged the server from my PC to ensure I had connectivity and then went straight to telnet. I pulled up the web interface but have not configured anything so far, just power cycled the device after my initial configurations. Definitely have some reading to do when it comes to further configuring this device.

Using the right cables? Swapped switchports? Upgraded firmware?
  • Options
    If you need any more "testing" on my end to help troubleshoot your side, feel free to PM me with anything. I wouldn't of read/known/remembered to telnet in with just the ip address followed by the port number of 7001. I assume you have a bit more experience with linux and have vast amounts of experience with different types of equipment, I am just getting started. It was a coincidence that I came here to seek help with the same terminal server around the same time you did, LOL. Some thread I was browsing a few weeks ago set me off to find a terminal server and this was the only one I could afford, hope I get to get some use out of it soon.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I still can't connect via Telnet. From the Cyclades ethernet port to the router console port, did you use a rollover cable or a console cable?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Never mind. I just read that you used a rollover cable. Thanks!
  • Options
    I assume I don't have enough posts to be eligible to private message someone.
    This is probably already 'well known', but for those who are new to linux and learning how to use their terminal access servers I found something that might seem obvious, but handy to know anyways.

I was having problems accessing port 1 on my Cylades TS3000 via telnet over cmd or other clients. Maybe I was impatient. What I could do was telnet into the Server just fine. Once I logged in I typed in: telnet 192.168.1.200 7001, being able to reverse telnet into the connected device. Hopefully this helps someone out in the future!
  • Options
    Franz070784Franz070784 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there! I am about to purchase a Cyclades ACS48. Is this better than getting a TS3000 in terms of ease of use? Is it also the same as plugging the DB9 to your computer and plugging in the rj45 to the console port of the ACS48? Cisco Console Cable will work? I am very much interested about this particular model cause it is cheaper than the TS3000. Thank you very much.