Options

Entry Level IT Security Job

dabeztdabezt Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this forum, for a while now and it got me motivated, to get my current certifications in the last 3 months, and i was just wondering what certifications, for the future, would i need to get a job in the Security field in IT, i currently have A+, Network+, Security+, CCENT, but currently do not have experience in IT at the moment. Thanks.

Denis

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    If you've browsed the forums, you probably stumbled upon the right answer - get a job in IT and start gathering experience. Start at a lower level and build up. People don't trust newbies with no real working knowledge of how things operate to do their security. It's just something that has prerequisites and requires other skills. Start applying. With your current certs you should be landing tech support/help desk interviews.

Also, why security? What makes you think it is for you? What area of security are we talking about?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Hi, Master Of Puppets,

thanks for your answer, when i did my comptia security+, i found it interesting, with area of penetration testing, and white hacking etc.. although i like the networking side while i was studying my cisco, although i understand you need experience so i will be applying for helpdesk and support jobs in the future to build up my experience, hopefully by the end of the year i will be getting some interviews, thanks for the help
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I think your certs are enough to land an entry job.

For a career in penetration testing, it would be a good idea to know a couple of things. There are a few types of pen testing as well but generally you need to know:

1) Networking - learn the ins and outs of TCP/IP. Understand the protocols that run on the network. Experience as an admin goes a long way.
    2) Operating systems - you are likely not a noob when it comes to windows so learning linux is a must. Knowledge of operating systems is vital.
    3) Programming/scripting - many people are afraid of this but it's not that big of a deal. Python would be really nice and it isn't too hard + there are a lot of resources.

I almost forgot - welcome to TE :D We are here to help if you have any further questions.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Thanks Master Of Puppets,

You have been very helpful, and thanks for the welcome, if i need any more help, i'll ask thanks again!!!

Denis