Options

Work Environment/Career Help

AdviceAdvice Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have been in my current position for about 7 months and have pretty much hated every second of it. There has been numerous racial comments, things such as knocking the phone off my ear while I'm on it talking to someone and just too many childish co-workers.

Obviously, this is not a productive work environment. I have been looking, but can't even get an interview. I have a B.S in the field, numerous certifications and fair experience. I see people with less in Senior roles.

Recruiters don't call or email back despite telling me "I'm just what they are looking for" "Good resume" bah bah. I'm on the job boards. I don't have many/any connections. I feel as though I'm stuck in a hole and am becoming more and more depressed each day.

Sorry just wanted to vent a little as well...

Comments

  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You might want to post your resume here for people to look at, see what is keeping you from getting the interviews you are hoping for.

    Have you discussed your concerns with you supervisor at all?
  • Options
    AdviceAdvice Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately, that isn't an option. I have noticed they are in with the supervisors here. For example, they all go to lunch together and socialize often. I'm never invited or included. These individuals are key IT workers here and I believe this is where they get their confidence from and there is nothing wrong with that. However, there is a line between confidence and ignorance.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know if it's just my area but it seems like the job posting have died off in the last week or so. Have you considered re-locating to another city?

    Side note. I'd try to get some evidence of the racial comments so that when you do find another job, you can take legal action against them, especially if the employer isn't doing anything to stop it. I use to have the mentality that I had to put up with any and everything because I needed my job but you're not getting paid to take crap from anyone.


    Edit: post your resume here as well. You'll get some great advice.
  • Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    This is a tough situation. What are your weaknesses in terms of finding future employment? If your resume and credentials are great, but you still aren't passing interviews, there must be something that you can work on?

    You might not always be able to immediately run away from a bad work environment. I'm guessing you are working with a bunch of 20-30 year old immature kids? Have you made any attempts to make your work environment better? This is a touchy subject because you obviously don't want to be getting involved in confrontations at work. That being said, have you been a pushover? Have you made it clear that you won't put up with the way they are acting? On the opposite end of the spectrum, have you tried going and getting drinks with a few of your coworkers? Sometimes just getting to see people outside of a work environment can make a difference.

    A common flaw in people is that they are very different on an individual basis versus in a group setting. In a group setting, weak people often follow others' lead or they are insecure and try to pull these pranks to get a reaction form others. When you are around them on an individual basis, you will often find that these people are completely different. This is just something to consider.

    Like I said before, it is a tough situation, but you should try to make sure that this doesn't happen again in future workplaces. If you think the environment is beyond repair, then jumping ship might be the best option. That being said, it might also be good practice to learn how to deal with these types of situations. You would like to think that this type of crap doesn't happen at good workplaces, but I think that we will always encounter people like this that try to test you, but it will manifest itself in different ways.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveFT wrote: »
    Sometimes just getting to see people outside of a work environment can make a difference.
    A common flaw in people is that they are very different on an individual basis versus in a group setting. In a group setting, weak people often follow others' lead or they are insecure and try to pull these pranks to get a reaction form others. When you are around them on an individual basis, you will often find that these people are completely different. This is just something to consider.
    Like I said before, it is a tough situation, but you should try to make sure that this doesn't happen again in future workplaces. If you think the environment is beyond repair, then jumping ship might be the best option. That being said, it might also be good practice to learn how to deal with these types of situations. You would like to think that this type of crap doesn't happen at good workplaces, but I think that we will always encounter people like this that try to test you, but it will manifest itself in different ways.

    I agree 100% percent this situations are almost similar to high school issues but on a different environment and stage and if you ever dealt with these type of situations in high school i would consider taking SteveFT's advice, get to know the group leader on a very personal side and most of the time in a group you would notice that individually they don't really turn out to be what they seem to act like when they in their group where they feel most welcome to do anything they please, get to know them one by one and one on one like going for a drink together just like SteveFT advices maybe the whole perception about them might change and maybe on the other hand they might be exposed to your fun side and usually according to my life experience you might see their weaker side. So get to know them for sure.
  • Options
    AdviceAdvice Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SteveFT wrote: »
    This is a tough situation. What are your weaknesses in terms of finding future employment? If your resume and credentials are great, but you still aren't passing interviews, there must be something that you can work on?

    You might not always be able to immediately run away from a bad work environment. I'm guessing you are working with a bunch of 20-30 year old immature kids? Have you made any attempts to make your work environment better? This is a touchy subject because you obviously don't want to be getting involved in confrontations at work. That being said, have you been a pushover? Have you made it clear that you won't put up with the way they are acting? On the opposite end of the spectrum, have you tried going and getting drinks with a few of your coworkers? Sometimes just getting to see people outside of a work environment can make a difference.

    A common flaw in people is that they are very different on an individual basis versus in a group setting. In a group setting, weak people often follow others' lead or they are insecure and try to pull these pranks to get a reaction form others. When you are around them on an individual basis, you will often find that these people are completely different. This is just something to consider.

    Like I said before, it is a tough situation, but you should try to make sure that this doesn't happen again in future workplaces. If you think the environment is beyond repair, then jumping ship might be the best option. That being said, it might also be good practice to learn how to deal with these types of situations. You would like to think that this type of crap doesn't happen at good workplaces, but I think that we will always encounter people like this that try to test you, but it will manifest itself in different ways.

    Certainly not a pushover. It's not just a few individuals, it's just the culture here...that's how everyone is. Usually I just sit at my desk for 8 hours and do nothing other than job search because there's no work to be done. I have attempted to take on more responsibility, but have been shot down because it's outside of my duties. The way I see it, I'm wasting time, money, and potential opportunities each day I come here and do nothing. I see no chance of advancement which is why I am now looking for employment elsewhere.
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Here's what you do - You go into work tomorrow and find the biggest guy there and punch him right in the face.

    Seriously, though, just keep at it. How long have you been looking? Like others have said, get your resume and credentials critiqued on TE.

    Sorry, but if management and other senior staff are aware of someone smacking your headset off and they did nothing, you gotta leave. That's an HR write up at minimum, and a firing offense 9/10 times.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would definately continue looking for another job. I concur with what someone else said - is there something else you can work on to improve your hireability? Soft skills, rebalancing your resume, new certifications, etc.

    I would consider any viable alternative job even it is not a higher level position or pay increase. You can't put a monetary value on your happiness.

    Is your company large enough to have an HR department? I would think every state in the good old US of A would have regulations regarding a non-threatening work envrionment and all companies large/mature enough to have an HR department would have written policies (is there a company handbook?) regarding racial discrimination.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    blargoe wrote: »
    I would definately continue looking for another job. I concur with what someone else said - is there something else you can work on to improve your hireability? Soft skills, rebalancing your resume, new certifications, etc.

    I would consider any viable alternative job even it is not a higher level position or pay increase. You can't put a monetary value on your happiness.

    Is your company large enough to have an HR department? I would think every state in the good old US of A would have regulations regarding a non-threatening work environment and all companies large/mature enough to have an HR department would have written policies (is there a company handbook?) regarding racial discrimination.

    Exactly, if what the OP says then this violates many employment laws.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
Sign In or Register to comment.