Options

Resume critique and what website can I use to look for jobs?

I used career builder, craigslist, monster.

can you guys look at my attachment of the resume to see how can I twick it better?
1776 is the answer to 1984!

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You may want to remove all your personal info. A few things stand out:

- Font 8? Come on!
    - Awful formatting. Lots of stuff misaligned
    - "Assistent" - this is a dutch word. If you mean ASSISTANT then typos are inexcusable
    - Grammar check please. You have a lot of double spaces when it should be just one
    - This should be a one page resume

Overall this is a very poor resume, one that I wold immediately discard. It shows zero attention to detail. My recommendation is to do your homework and start from zero. Look at other threads here so you can see examples of good resumes.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have to agree with cyberguypr, resume is pretty messy. Also, I wouldn't list highschool under education, just stick with the secondary education.

For job searches you might also try: Indeed, Dice, and Snagajob.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    You may want to remove all your personal info. A few things stand out:

- Font 8? Come on!
    - Awful formatting. Lots of stuff misaligned
    - "Assistent" - this is a dutch word. If you mean ASSISTANT then typos are inexcusable
    - Grammar check please. You have a lot of double spaces when it should be just one
    - This should be a one page resume

Overall this is a very poor resume, one that I wold immediately discard. It shows zero attention to detail. My recommendation is to do your homework and start from zero. Look at other threads here so you can see examples of good resumes.

I only did that font 8 real quick for this website. What should I realigne? I retype the typo. What should I delete to make one page resume?

Can I add anything else for the I.T. skills? does it seem too basic?

Thanks alot btw.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Try this for a title:
    Grave Digger, Bi-Lingual Computer Technician with A+ Certification

It gives your name, something unique that you bring to the table, and also tells me what you do.

I would delete the Skills and Qualifications section. Use the Experience section to more adequately describe what volunteer work you have done for the Mt. Sinai medical Center

If you have done any work where being bi-lingual actually came in handy, that would be worth mentioning within your experience section.

Order the resume like this:
    1 - Education (Your A.S in progress should be mentioned right away, so people know that you're bettering yourself. Leave off the high school, not necessary if you're attending college.)
    2 - Expertise - I would include the A+, but am iffy on including the certification about sterile processing, unless I was trying for a medical gig that could see the value I would bring in understanding that kind of stuff. I would also include anything about being bilingual here.
    3 - Experience - Lead off with the volunteer work in the IT department. Describe some projects and/or tasks that you have worked on during this time.

The prior poster mentioned quite a few things, so I tried to not repeat anything.

Also, I think having "three E's" would be pretty cool: Education, Expertise, Experience (Yes, I searched for synonyms of skills.) Expertise is a much more powerful term than skills.

Heck, if you're really bilingual, have two resumes:
    One in Spanish
    One in English

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    Well, I would say it needs work. Maybe another format to start (pm me I can show you mine). Misspelled words will not pass go for this process, also I would put improper use of spacing and paragraphs in the same catagory.

....So the point of a resume is to not only show what you do but to HIGHLIGHT the things that made a difference. I see that you can do many things, but so can everyone in the world. How do you do these things better than everyone else?

....Also if you are applying for an IT related position why not make your entire resume IT related, I know there are things you do as a sterilization tech that can be translated to IT experience. Do you calibrate anything, do you input data into a system somewhere, do you have an automated inventory you use, do you keep track of anything by using software etc....

My point is that you do not have anything as far as work history that is related to IT, if you are applying for IT make sure your resume reflects your IT experience...Even if it was just turning on and off the computer! …"initiated power cycle process on multiple processing units."
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm assuming English is not your first language. If I were you I'd get someone that is a native English speaker to sit down with you while you write your resume. As others have said it's pretty bad. Besides the content the formatting is pretty horrible. Needs a lot of attention to detail. Honestly I'd start from scratch if I were you.

Some thoughts:

Add a summary to the top where you can try to sell yourself. You obviously don't have experience so you need to sell your intangibles.

Combine education and certification and put it right after the summary. Again, this along with your intangibles are going to be your selling point with your lack of experience.

Come up with some better skills or just leave that section off. You have speak and write fluent English but your resume is very poorly written.

I know your experience isn't very related to IT, but try to highlight things like customer service or any work you've done with any kind of technology. Things that may transfer into a entry level IT gig.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Wow I really appreciate the feedback. I can see how much better it can be. I'm posting from my galaxy so when I get on a computer I will pm you guys for further help. Thank you so much!
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I will stay out of the resume part of this thread as you seem to have plenty of suggestions. I will reiterate the Dice and Indeed recommendations as they are fairly reliable in my experience. I also always suggest visiting the City website. They usually have demographics listing the biggest companies in your area. Go to their sites and check for jobs as they don't always post to recruiting services.

--EDIT--

Avoid PM-ing and just reply to the thread. That way others can learn from your questions. You never know who might have the same concerns that you do.
  • Options
    tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if it's been mentioned on the forums before but RezScore -- Grade Your Resume is a pretty useful site for a free critique. Submit your resume and some rather intricate algorithms analyze it and make suggestions. Well worth checking out.

Also, +1 for indeed. Excellent aggregator for searching.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Id just start over.
    Google resume templates and choose a good one.

For websites use your local major business websites (hotels, stores etc), craigslist, monster, google, linkedin, indeed and so on.
  • Options
    tier~ wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned on the forums before but RezScore -- Grade Your Resume is a pretty useful site for a free critique. Submit your resume and some rather intricate algorithms analyze it and make suggestions. Well worth checking out.

Also, +1 for indeed. Excellent aggregator for searching.

got to check this out do i remove personal info?
  • Options
    tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No need to cleanse your resume there unless you want to. If you score highly you do have the option to post your resume to their leaderboard in which case your info would then be publicly available.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog