Options

What brand of servers does your company use

HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
My old company uses HP blades, but their switching over Cisco UCS blades.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only a few physical servers left in our DC, but they are all HP Proliant's. Had some Dell PowerEdge's and Sunfire's back in the day, luckily they've all been decommissioned and I don't miss them one bit. icon_wink.gif
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Dell to IBM to now HP
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Dell, just because we get great discounts.

If I had to chose again i'd be HP or Cisco.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    IBM.. and there is always something wrong with them. But we also have a handfull of Proliant and PowerEdge boxes sitting around.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Dell to HP
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dell and Cisco - leaning more toward Cisco as of lately.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    We're using Dell and HP. We still have some 2950's in our environment... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    In the back corner of our DC there is a P4 Desktop running Server 2k. Old CRT and everything. I am afraid to ask what it does.. as the answer might put me into shock.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In the back corner of our DC there is a P4 Desktop running Server 2k. Old CRT and everything. I am afraid to ask what it does.. as the answer might put me into shock.

Its your Primary DC.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HP blades mostly with a few physical HP G8's doing backups duties. Incidentally, every company I've worked for has had HP servers.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my organization we have been using IBM servers for a long time. In the near future we are going to continue using IBM although we are going to acquire a few HP Proliants 380p Gen 8.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mostly Cisco and a few HP
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All the HP/IBM/Cisco guys show up to talk about their hardware. The dell guys just vote and don't care. lol
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Must be nice, one of our server is so crappy and mostly over utilized that every couple of week one of us in the NOC has to walk to the colo a block away and reboot it.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mishra wrote: »
    All the HP/IBM/Cisco guys show up to talk about their hardware. The dell guys just vote and don't care. lol
    I voted Cisco without comment. :)

I was kind of surprised to see Dell lapping the field here. It was my understanding that HP had the lion's share of installed servers.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think server side for generaly purpose server (DC, DNS in small to medium size company) the physical hardware is less important than the OS and software.

With out checking I bet few people could tell if the mmc they had open for AD management was to a HP/IBM or Dell backend server.

For DB and Specifice tasks where the hardware is a bottle neck then it pays to know your hardware, otherwise a physical server is a physical server. in much the same way we see the big guns pulling out of the desktop market and leaving it to the factories out in china that can push out decent kit at half the price.

The dells we have a robust, don't often fail and reasonable cost and support. I don't have any thing agisnt moving to another manufacturer, just have no reason to. Take the case we are upgrading our 8 Esxi hosts soon, they are currently Dell R710 maxed out with memory, but starting to show there age with 100 or so guests. What benefits would we get moving to IBM/CISCO/HP. We don't have a endless budget so its got to the higher end of mid range kit we go for.

may be if i went CISCO for the same cost i could have 5% more guests running, but I have to weigh that up against the need for two support contracts. May be i am wrong and coming from a network background where hardware choice also means feature set choice. I don't see the same in server hardware. its the OS that defines the features and management choices.

on a side note I would love to try CISCO servers out, worked on dell, IBM and HP rack mounted, and Dell blades. so be interested to see how a network company like CISCO has attempted to get in to the server market.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Our state is deep in bed with HP for servers, desktops and laptops. Servers seem to perform well, but I would go my own route for the others if I could get away with it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Its your Primary DC.

Root CA icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    When it comes to servers, everything is HP here.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All Dell here both servers and desktops.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We've got a lot of everything. Everything being HP, Dell, Cisco, and Supermicro.
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Surprised no one mentioned, Lenovo, granted some said IBM.

We have a few Super Micro's and the rest are Lenovo Thinkserver.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mix of Lenovo and Cisco for ourselves, when it comes to the clients we manage, anything and everything.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□

I'm sure it's just an old proxy server....nothing to worry about...
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A lot of Dell. We use Dell servers at my company but we've got some new clients that want hp servers instead.
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Use Dell Servers and Workstations. MIssion Critical response. It's great. Our students have HP Laptops - Not really impressed with the service with them.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mostly Cisco B series UCS. If they continue obtaining more them at the same pace they have been we're going to run out of power before we know it. icon_sad.gif
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA