What brand of servers does your company use

2»

Comments

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Dell R900, 2950, HP DL580, HP c7000.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    IBM -> HP -> Dell -> HP -> now Acer (the same make and model used by the 2012 Olympics).
  • Options
    010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Only HP here. Might try out Cisco in the future.
    Dell is junk from what I've seen. I've never seen so many issues with servers.
  • Options
    HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    010101 wrote: »

Cisco UCS B Series blades are amazing. That's way my old company is switching from HP. Plus, the Cisco blade servers are cheaper too.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    010101 wrote: »

see from my experience I would say the opposite is true :) mind you I have never liked HP always felt cheap to me. Sure there great, but only time i used them I had so many issues trying to get ESXi running.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Haswell wrote: »
    Cisco UCS B Series blades are amazing. That's way my old company is switching from HP. Plus, the Cisco blade servers are cheaper too.

Compared to other blade systems how do CISCO compare? price/performance?

we have two projects, one to swap out our VMware hosts for new hard ware, and the other for some high performance hardware for genetics data analysis and both we are thinking of moving to blades for.

I would love to look at CISCO but I only have experience with there network kit.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    timrvttimrvt Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    always have been dells and sunfire boxes ..the sun solaris boxes are almost all gone...a few sun vm hosts..the dells will be phased over to vms ..and now all the new hw are supermicros
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »

we have two projects, one to swap out our VMware hosts for new hard ware, and the other for some high performance hardware for genetics data analysis and both we are thinking of moving to blades for.

I would love to look at CISCO but I only have experience with there network kit.

The Cisco blades are cheeper then the HP ones mainly because of the Virtual Connects. With the HP c7000 blade chassis you need to buy Virtual Connects for each chassis. With Cisco you just need to buy the Virtual Connects for one chassis, then you connect the other chassis to the one with the virtual connects (up to 13, with the 14th being the one with virtual connects).

Also, most people implement Cisco UCS with server profiles. Which allow you to boot from a SAN. That way if anything happens to a blade you can quickly switch the profile to a free blade. Then preform the upgrade on the original blade.

That's just the server side, on the networking side most people use Cisco's Nexus 7 switches with the UCS servers. Which results in amazing performance.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've used both HP and Cisco blade systems and I wouldn't even look at an HP system right now unless they've completely reworked their management interface.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488

Cisco B200 M3's with 786GB Fusion IO cards in them. :)
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I work in a DC, we've got allllllll sorts of stuff!

Anything from bleeding edge HP/Dell stuff, to some P2's running NT4 (I kid ye not!)
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's just the server side, on the networking side most people use Cisco's Nexus 7 switches with the UCS servers. Which results in amazing performance.

Must be nice to afford that bling icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Must be nice to afford that bling icon_sad.gif

Yeah especially since I got laid off from that job because of budget cuts ;)
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HP proliant, they are great.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Should have the option to vote multiple selections - we also don't just have one vendor - we got HP, Supermicro, Cisco, Dell, IBM and some randoms here and there not worth mentioning ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 197 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah especially since I got laid off from that job because of budget cuts ;)
    LOL! that was funny:D. We use IBM x series servers.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    IBM xSeries and blades. As a hospital, we have some random hardware that vendors impose upon us as well, though. That stuff is mostly HP.

Our VP/CIO is an ex-IBM employee and has been running our department since the late 90's. We're working to keep his stock prices up. icon_wink.gif
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    One of my last organizations was head by an Ex-IBM'er. All our hardware suddenly went from Compaq/HP to IBM. The xSeries stuff is overpriced for such commodity hardware.
  • Options
    Jayjett90Jayjett90 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dell to IBM, let the virtualization project begin
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    My 9-5 is Dell, all my side jobs are HP. I prefer HP though some of the 620,720,820 Dell's are closing the gap.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    HP DL-380 Series or HP Blade technology.