Options

need to set up a small LAN

newbie33newbie33 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this. I need to set up a small LAN for the start-up company that I'm working for. I have some Cisco knowledge & I bought a Microsoft Server 2012 book. Someone care to guide me in the right direction as to how to get things started? What type of router will I need? What services will I have to set up?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yikes. Honestly, I mean no offense maybe you shouldn't be setting up the network if your that clueless.

All of the hardware, applications, and services are dictated by what the company does and is needs.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Is it just me or has there been a couple of newly registered users with their first post asking TE for advise on jobs that they are clearly under-qualified?
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Ha, you guys beat me to it.
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    newbie - Is this your first attempt at networking and/or IT work? What qualifications do you have?

You may want to reach out to a local IT consultation firm and have them help you or may even set it up for you.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Just curious, not trying to sound rude or condescending, but do you have ANY experience in IT?
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    Is it just me or has there has been a couple of newly registered users with their first post asking TE for advise on jobs that they are clearly under-qualified?

I've definitely seen it quite often as well. I'm wondering if there are really that many inept people masquerading as IT Professionals, or if it's an assignment for a tech school/college student (I recall having a few assignments similar to the questions posed by the n00bs). For the sake of these "companies" that these so called n00bs work for, I hope its the latter. icon_lol.gif
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration