Options

Help me get to Australia

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just curious what the roadblocks and challenges are. I have a background in project management and business analytics. My wife is a RN with ~ 3 years of experience. Is this feasible? Any of my brethren or sistren that could help shine some light on this would be GREALY appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    You and me both. I've been doing lots of reading, and it seems you really have to jump through hoops and put on the whole dog and pony show to get over there. I've found a lot of useful info on what steps to take, here Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa. That is the link for people who are not employer sponsored.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJo thanks for the great information. If you want to take this off line let me know. Hit me up with a PM. BTW Good luck on the CISSP I'm sure you'll crush it.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    N2IT wrote: »
    JoJo thanks for the great information. If you want to take this off line let me know. Hit me up with a PM. BTW Good luck on the CISSP I'm sure you'll crush it.

Yea I'll definitely get with you via PM. It'll be good to keep each other updated with what we find. It is definitely a goal for me to relocate there in a few years and my wife is surprisingly supportive. I am hoping to have endorsement back on CISSP early next week.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Absolutely. Since my wife is an RN I am hoping to leverage that. Healthcare seems to be something always sought after, especially if you have experience, not just the education.
  • Options
    RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Just curious what the roadblocks and challenges are. I have a background in project management and business analytics. My wife is a RN with ~ 3 years of experience. Is this feasible? Any of my brethren or sistren that could help shine some light on this would be GREALY appreciated. Thanks

Why would you want to go there? Is it the culture or the people?
  • Options
    Honestly both. I've like what I have seen and all of the people I have met, quite a few have been some of the most pleasant people I have ever engaged with. Not to mention this is a huge planet, it's would be a shame not to experience other regions.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    But... it is hot... and all the animals want to KILL you...
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey N2,

Theres a few of us on the boards who live in Australia. I myself moved here from the UK and i am currently going through the permanent residency process on a 189 visa. So feel free to PM me any questions etc.

These are a foreign residents options when coming to australia legally:

417 visa
    1. 1 year visa. AKA backackers visa with temporary working rights.
    2. 6 month restriction per employer
    3. To get a 2nd year extension, you need to complete 3 months of agricultural type work.
    4. must be under 31 years of age when applying for the visa. Check to see if your country is on the eligibility list for this visa.

457 visa
    1. This is what you get when you contract or are a perm employee without residency. Its a temporary 4 year skilled visa designed to fill a skills shortage in the market.
    2. downside is that if you lose your job you have 3 months to find something and someone to take your sponsorship on before being deported.
    3. This is the visa i am currently on.
    4. you must be put forward by your employer (company or recruitment agency) for this.

some Residency visas are:
    1. Visa 189 - independent PR application.
    2. this is the visa i am going for.
    3. It gives you residency status without the restrictions of a 457 for up to 5 years. After 5 years, it needs to be renewed.
    4. However, you usually have to live/work in oz for 3 of the 5 years for it to be renewed.

Visa 190:
    Is like the 189 but is government or employer sponsored.

PS, there are other visas available. The above are the common ones as far as i am aware.

After that its citizenship.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    After reviewing the SOL it seems very promising from at least the outside looking in. They list System Analyst, Business Analyst, Project Management and my wife would have no problem with her 3+ years of nursing. (These are all based off of assumptions) I'll continue to review thanks again.
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    There is a nursing/Doctor shortage at the moment.

Where about do you want to live in Australia?

Keep in mind, we have just changed Government who believe we don't need internet any faster than a turtle. 25Mbps. Using Copper when our previous government was putting 100Mbps Fibre.

Only some of the animals want to kill you, the drop bear is the worst. Check out HuntMigration.com.au They might be able to sort you out.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    kj0 wrote: »
    Only some of the animals want to kill you, the drop bear is the worst.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :D
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Quick google search led me to this Skilled Occupation List - 1 July 2013
    The following seem to have shortages in IT

Systems Analyst

Analyst Programmer

Developer Programmer

Software Engineer

Computer Network and Systems Engineer

Telecommunications Engineer

Telecommunications Network Engineer

Could 263111 qualify as a system admin?!?
  • Options
    newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    Going to Australia from the US is akin to going back in time. Enjoy the US of A.
  • Options
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    Quick google search led me to this Skilled Occupation List - 1 July 2013
    The following seem to have shortages in IT

Systems Analyst

Analyst Programmer

Developer Programmer

Software Engineer

Computer Network and Systems Engineer

Telecommunications Engineer

Telecommunications Network Engineer

Could 263111 qualify as a system admin?!?

From the way i read the description, yes 263111 could qualify as a sys admin or network engineer. This is the code i have qualified against through the ACS and i come from a network engineering background.

Word of advice > if you are coming to the country with a defacto (a gf/bf) who you arent married to, then make sure you have plenty of evidence you have resided in a relationship for over 12 months if you are going for PR. That includes letters proving you live at the same residence. The Oz government does not count it otherwise. So things like joint bank statements, utility bills etc etc.

• Options
    newmove wrote: »
    Going to Australia from the US is akin to going back in time. Enjoy the US of A.

haha, i would agree in some aspects and not in others. Every country is different in some ways. As a brit, i love Australia. I came here because i felt our country was changing for the worst.

• Options
    Shadow RealmShadow Realm Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm an Aussie and if you want to see what jobs you and your wife can get and their availability I recommend checking seek.com

Probably the best job site in AUS
    Currently Working On: CompTIA A+ and MCITP: Windows 7
    Want To Complete: Network+, Security+, Linux+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, RHCE, CISSP (Associate)
  • Options
    Thanks again everyone, this post has been very insightful.
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Another way to go is to get a job with a US contractor that places people on US bases in other countries. I have a couple friends working in Germany on an air force base (1 is IT, the other finance) they get nice salaries plus expenses and relocation paid for - so they can pretty much just bank most of their paycheck. Three year contract, but when they finish, they will have a huge bank account balance.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    wes allen wrote: »
    Another way to go is to get a job with a US contractor that places people on US bases in other countries. I have a couple friends working in Germany on an air force base (1 is IT, the other finance) they get nice salaries plus expenses and relocation paid for - so they can pretty much just bank most of their paycheck. Three year contract, but when they finish, they will have a huge bank account balance.

are they in the military or as a contractor?
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pretty sure a contractor, but maybe civilian employee.
  • Options
    newmove wrote: »

Only in the bayou of loooosiana do things akin to that take place. You know what I'm referring to, but I don't want to be accused of 'scrimination, I know not all aussies wrastle with gators and what not.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    How are their gun laws?? I own ar-15s. California is gettin a bit strict to my liking would entertain a move .
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can have a gun on you only if if you are a cop/criminal/hunting club member. We dont want idiots carrying things that kill!

@N2 - Mate, your wife will get her residency easy enough because like kj0 said, there's an acute shortage of nurses these days. I dont know how things would work for you though, as in perhaps you wont get your residency right away and may have to be a sponsor visa for a year or two (the sponsor will be your wife). Your best bet would be to speak with a migration agent or whatever they are called in the USA.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    There was an instant Gun Buy-Back scheme in 1996 due to a mass shooting.

Check out John Oliver's (daily Show) - Gun Control in Australia video, You'll find out all you need to know about Australian Gun Control
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    You can have a gun on you only if if you are a cop/criminal/hunting club member. We dont want idiots carrying things that kill!

@N2 - Mate, your wife will get her residency easy enough because like kj0 said, there's an acute shortage of nurses these days. I dont know how things would work for you though, as in perhaps you wont get your residency right away and may have to be a sponsor visa for a year or two (the sponsor will be your wife). Your best bet would be to speak with a migration agent or whatever they are called in the USA.

If his wife was to gain residency in australia as a nurse, then he would be able to come with her as a dependent providing they can prove their marriage. As a result, he would also have PR. You have to state on your application if you are bringing other family members and prove to immigration that everything you say is true. If immigration agree they would grant you both PR.

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    California would seem like the wild west when compared to Australia's gun laws.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @nel, didnt know that mate. I always thought the person qualifying for the SOL was the permanent resident while the partner went on a spouse visa. These rules keep changing from what I hear N2, I recommend checking with a migration agent before even beginning with the application.

BTW nel, how's your residency coming along? They given you a permanent visa yet mate?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »

What about my kitana? Do I need a license for it or can I do my deer hunting the old fashioned way?