Options

Masters - Capitol College, UMUC, or Marymount University?

lookingtolearnlookingtolearn Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm looking to start my masters in information assurance/cybersecurity, and I believe I have my choices narrowed down to the following three schools -

1. Capitol College - MS Information Assurance
- I really like the curriculum, however, this school still has the "whats that" factor, just asking friends from the VA/DC area.

2. University of Maryland University College - MS Cybersecurity
- People have heard of this one, and is quite heavily advertised.

3. Marymount University - MS Cybersecurity
- Not sure, this seems relatively new for Marymount.

All are branded with the National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAE/IAE) designation by NSA.

I live in the Northern Virginia area, and want to continue my education - any fellow TE'rs have recent experience with these schools, such as with how well-received their respective degrees are from these places? Any review or comments about the quality, experience, or anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

While I understand the "name" is not as important as the quality of education + experience, it's still a large personal investment (time, money, brains), and I would love any feedback you'd be willing to share.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would suggest looking at WGU's MSISA program... lots of members here have had very positive experiences with WGU (including me) and it's probably 10-20 percent of the cost of the schools you listed.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    sadfjlfdo24sadfjlfdo24 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. Capitol College - MS Information Assurance
    - I really like the curriculum, however, this school still has the "whats that" factor, just asking friends from the VA/DC area.

I got my master's degree from Capitol College. It is the only school on that list to have the most number of IA training standards compared to not just all the other schools on that list, but to all IA programs: 4011, 4012, 4013A, 4014A, 4015, 4016A. It is also by far the most affordable program out there and does not require an application fee. You can also get a 10% tuition discount if you have IEEE membership (which is dirt cheap for grad students). Its the best kept secret in the industry, and most of your fellow students work at "undisclosed locations". icon_thumright.gif

Edit: I've attended WGU for one semester, and frankly it does not even compare. And University of MD is stupid expensive and does not give you any comparative advantage.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @sadfjlfdo24..are you getting another Masters from WGU?
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    sadfjlfdo24sadfjlfdo24 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    coffeeluvr wrote: »
    @sadfjlfdo24..are you getting another Masters from WGU?

No, I attended for one semester before starting at Capitol.
  • Options
    jfitzgjfitzg Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im in the doctoral program at Capitol College. The reason that it has the "whats that" factor is because they are trying to build their brand by word of mouth only, they dont advertise. Overall its a small but great school, the professors there actually work with you and make themselves accessible whenever you need. Try them out, I think you will like it there.
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    I'm assuming that Capitol College doesn't have an Online Undergrad Program besides Business??? :/
  • Options
    CCNTrainee wrote: »
    I'm assuming that Capitol College doesn't have an Online Undergrad Program besides Business??? :/

They do not unfortunately. I would say check the campus out but you are a little far away for that. :) What is the purpose of the B.S.? Are you looking to just get the piece of paper or get an in depth understanding of one or more topics in IT/IS?
  • Options
    Little bit of A and little bit of B. Lol

To me, the paper part is just to have HR satify what they "Think" is needed. The other part is actually getting into the MEAT of IT, thou what I have witness is that self-studying for a particular topic/area of discpline tends to pay out more then attending a college class... I'm still new to the whole college scene and I am getting old enough to start caring what I have to show for accomplishment... Career wise, I am a Network Guy but plan on jumping into the Security section sometime within the next decade or so...
  • Options
    Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    I agree with CCNTrainee 100%. I am also looking to get a B.S but want to attend a 100% online school. My only problem with WGU is that who knows WGU? it's would suck to get a B.S and then be asked who is WGU. I already have 5 years experience in I.T and prefer certs 100% more than the B.S but it's just needed to satisfy that B.S for some employers. I know Wisconsin University is bringing a Flex program out in the next quarter which would be amazing because it's a known good school. All other online schools are way too expensive.

Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    Like I said, I am new to the College/Higher Education scene, I would like to attend a college that goes beyond the basics... with that said, it is hard to find a college that actually has a degree/program that applies to other specialties. Most B+M Colleges that I have been looking at only have a Computer Science or a Computer/Electrical Engineer program... Would be nice if more colleges carried degrees in InfoSec, Info Assurance, and other IT specialties.

@Darian: How is the IT job market in South Florida?? I'm stationed in the Panhandle area; I love Florida but not really a fan of the Panhandle. Looking to settle in Central or South Florida if it is possible for me when I get out of the Service.
  • Options
    Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    Well it's not that great to be honest. There is always something out there if you have the right qualifications but what I have seen here in miami is that they want highly certified/experienced people and pay them like help desk. I see a lot better salaries in other states. Problem with Miami is high mortgages and expensive living in general and low paying I.T jobs.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I give a thumbs up to Capitol College as well. I am currently attending CC for my Master's in IA. It is a very good, and relatively inexpensive, and all of the professors that I have had so far have been extremely knowledgeable. They strive for the best, and I feel that I am getting my money's worth there.
  • Options
    Darian929 wrote: »
    I agree with CCNTrainee 100%. I am also looking to get a B.S but want to attend a 100% online school. My only problem with WGU is that who knows WGU? it's would suck to get a B.S and then be asked who is WGU. I already have 5 years experience in I.T and prefer certs 100% more than the B.S but it's just needed to satisfy that B.S for some employers. I know Wisconsin University is bringing a Flex program out in the next quarter which would be amazing because it's a known good school. All other online schools are way too expensive.

Any other suggestions?

So I live in Rochester, NY, home to Rochester Institute of Technology which is a VERY well known school across the country. A friend of mine who recieved their MS from RIT who moved to Charlotte looking for a job told me the story about how they wernt sure how to explain who RIT was to the hiring managers they were interviewing without embarrassing them. The point of the story is this, unless you go to a TOP school like Harvard you are going to get that "whos that factor". Based on this I think WGU would be good for you, 100% at your own pace, cheap, get lots of certs in the process, just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I know of two guys who attended Capitol College, and it was for their IA program. Of course, I have a small sample size.

As far as online schools, specifically for information assurance, people I personally know from work either used Capella, WGU, or Capitol College. They're all employed for DoD in some capacity, as I type this message. (Government doesn't care as much about pedigree of schools, just whether or not they're accredited by a recognized organization.)

If you're out in the private sector, be prepared for questions about your school. People do ask. Online-only schools get lumped together with mills.

If you want to be safe, choose a school that plays football that is close to where you live. It sounds silly, but if you're not going to a big-named school, you're better off picking one that is nationally televised on Saturdays in the fall, if you don't want to deal with negative questions about the school you attended. :)

For more information, see this thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/53985-master-list-b-m-colleges-offering-online-degrees.html

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    jfitzg:

Kinda sad to hear that about RIT. That school has a pretty strong reputation, especially on the East Coast. When I applied for ANCE a couple years ago, most of the candidates came from RIT, it appeared.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    jfitzg:

Kinda sad to hear that about RIT. That school has a pretty strong reputation, especially on the East Coast. When I applied for ANCE a couple years ago, most of the candidates came from RIT, it appeared.

Yeah, its not a knock against RIT in any ways, its a great school. The story just goes to show that unless you go somewhere like Harvard, you are going to get that "whos that" factor unless you apply for jobs in the area where the school is close to. With that said, if they can get over that factor, WGU is a great way to get a B.S.
  • Options
    I would think MIT would matter more then Harvard when it comes to our career field. Lol
  • Options
    guaskguask Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone, I am almost done with my associates degree in information systems security, and plan on pursing a bachelor's degree in Information security field. My options are narrowed down to Capitol College "information assurance and Wilmington University "computer network security. which would be the best option? please, i really need your inputs while going through a dilemma.

thanks,
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Does Capitol College update their courses often? A few of the course descriptions seem old which is why I ask.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    Graduated one year ago. You are not going to exit the program some Technomancer or hacker savant. So know why you are going and what you expect the degree to do for you. I enjoyed the program and still hope that long term it will prove valuable as I am still looking for an INFOSEC position.

I will add this, it may not be well known in the general IT population, but that does not mean it is not known. It is right down the road from NSA and most of my classes were filled with government employees or contractors. It was not uncommon for people to be VERY vague in their introductions when it came to what they actually did and who they did it for. Lots of DOD and alphabet soup people in the classes and several of my instructors had DOD backgrounds.